‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 10-Connor

Hex left me standing there, nothing but the office door in front of me. I blinked a few times and pushed the wooden door open.

The room was grand. It had a long wooden desk running from the left side to the right, but stopped short of the right wall, where there it had an opening to walk through. There were chairs, about fourty in counting, running against the wall I came in from, and then there were a few desks and doors behind the first wooden one. I was surly amazed.

Then, I heard it. In the last chair on my right sat a boy, dark brown hair and slim, distantly stood out from the others, it was the same boy I saw earlier. He held a lighter, tip ignited with a flame of orangey-yellow, and a piece of paper in the other. “Hey, kid, what are you doing?”

“Fire burns,” the kid responded, distantly and he stood up. He looked about eighteen years old and as he stood up, looked at me, dropped the nearly burnt paper to the ground and went pale, “Oh, sorry,” he quickly said and looked away.

“I believe we need to talk,” I sighed and led him through a door marked “Connor”. He sat down in the chair and I leaned against the desk that was supposedly mine. “First off, what’s your name?”

“Barbod,” he responded, pushing his dark hair out of his sunglasses that were over his eyes.

“Barbod? What kind of name is that?”

“What kind of name is Hex? It means guitar,” he answered, he sounded shy, “are you really Connor?”

“Yeah, I am,” I laughed, “the one and only.”

He fidgeted with the lighter, kind of distant from me, “How long have you been in this school, Barbod?”

“Two weeks. My mom forced me here because she caught me lighting fires in my room and when I was mad at her...” he stopped and turned his head, “I caught her on fire and my eyes changed.”

“Not as bad as what I’ve had but sure,” I sighed and a bell went off, “get to class, Barbod.”

“Whatever,” he disappeared and I smiled. I got up and looked over some desks.

“Excuse me, but are you Connor?” I looked at a girl who had brown-blondish hair and smiled at me.

“Yeah, I am.”