‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 37-Nick

“Nick! Get up! Wake up! Something! Connor’s there!”

I blinked. My head didn’t hurt and I squinted in the dim light. I was kneeling, hands above my head and chained. Barbod’s eyes showed clearly, and he stared at Connor’s limp figure.

“Hell,” I twisted my body, “Barb, you okay?”

“I’m fine, Nick,” Barbod coughed, “I don’t think Connor is though.”

My eyes finally adjusted to the light and I looked at Connor. He was kneeling, hands gloved above his head, blind folded, his ears were plugged and his mouth had something in it, “Holy, shit!”

He didn’t move. I blinked, blankly, and fiddled with my hands, “What are you doing, Nick?” Barbod asked; I ignored him.

If I could unlatch these chains from my wrists I could unlatch Barb and Connor and… the door opened and white light shined through.

“Well, Ms. Melissa, look who we have here,” A deep man’s voice said. I heard Barb gulp.

“Mel?” he asked, his dim out line shook, “Mel?!”

No response came. I saw a hand run down Barbod’s face, stop, and retreat. Barbod sighed and the man’s voice said again, “Grand catch, huh, love?”

“Sure,” a girl’s voice responded.

Nick?

What?

Who’s there?

I… I don’t know. Can’t you read their minds?

Connor didn’t answer; I’ll hit something else, not them.

I fiddled with the chain, again, and the two figures disappeared. Barbod looked solemnly at me as something snapped. I rubbed my wrists and threw the chains away. I got up, weak-kneed, and unlatched Barbod.

“Help me unlatch Connor,” I demanded him as he got up. We pulled him up, unlatched him, and pulled the stuff out of his ears and around his eyes. He spat out the napkin from his mouth and stared at his covered hands.

“Shit,” he was still bad at cussing, “I know where we are. Nick, do you have enough power to burn these pair of gloves off my hands?”

“Can’t you pull them off?” I asked.

“Why the hell did I ask you if I could pull them off myself?! Fine, don’t help. Go get your ass killed; see if I care!” he cussed at me, “I don’t care anyways!”

“I bet you’d worry your ass off as soon as I leave!” I answered, slightly yelling. I sighed and looked longingly at him, “And I’d take care of myself whether you say so or not!”

Connor didn’t respond. He’s probably thinking of a good comeback. “Sure,” he blankly answered, hands out in front of him. His dark power balls appeared; in the dark I could see the slight outlines.

“What are you doing?” I asked.

“Cutting these things off, like I did six years ago,” he answered, “seeing as you won’t help.”

“Fine!” I yelled, “I’ll help! Just don’t cut yourself!”

He slyly smiled at his win and held his hands out. I snapped my fingers together and a ball of fire appeared. Barbod looked amazed, as if he never did that even though he has fire Elemental power. “Here,” I pushed the fireball at my brother who then grinned.

“Thanks,” he said took the fire and burnt the gloves off, and some of his skin, “Now,” he said, “is our escape.”

“Where the hell are we, Connor?” Barbod asked.

“The tenth floor of the basted place called HTWBE, ‘member that, Nick?”

“Oh, shit, really?” I was shocked. I remembered the time when I was captured and tested on by my own brothers.

“Sorry to burst your bubble and all,” Barbod said, “but how are we going to get out of here?”

“Step back and you’ll see,” Connor answered and Barbod took a step back, “Air…”

“Hang on! Won’t that destroy us too?!” I had to stop my brother.

“Oh, crap, you’re right. Fine, we’ll do it the old fashioned way.”

“How’s that?” Barbod asked and Connor smiled. His eyes turned grey, slightly, and then a silver color. He touched where the door was, slipped through it, easily, as if it was water, and the door opened, him grinning on the other side.

“How’d you do that?!” Barbod asked and Connor seemed to laugh.

“Metal walls- I’m a metal Elementalist- I can work wonders with metal,” he slyly grinned and quietly lifted his shirt’s bottom to show a thin, clean, white and red handle sticking out of his pants, “heh.”

“Boys, stop fooling around,” it was a girls’ voice, “hurry up or they’ll find you.”

Connor blinked and looked at the girl, smiled softly and grinned from ear to ear, “Well, look what we have here, we meet again as we did six years ago.”

“Who is that, Connor?” Barbod was now standing next to Connor.

“Heh,” Connor was now ignoring Barbod, “Why are you here?”

“To save your life.”

I pushed my way out and saw a girl, long blue hair, blue eyes, or maybe they were grey, “I’m amazed.”

“What’s there to be amazed about, Nick?” she asked, “We’ll catch up on the way out.”

“Hang on,” Barbod stumbled, “I need to find Mel before anything.”

“I’ll save her,” Connor turned on his heel and disappeared. I looked at Barbod and noticed he didn’t have his sunglasses.

“Barb, here,” I took a pair of glasses out of my pocket, blew on them until they were ashy from smoke, and handed them to Barb.

“Thanks, Nick.”

“Hey, Nick,” I looked at the girl, “is your brother THAT messed up to finding Vlad by himself?”

“Ha, of course, Terry.”