‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 40- Melissa

I stayed on the ground, slightly being held up by my elbows, and I looked from Vlad to Barbod, and then to the others. I pushed myself up, back onto my bed and stood up, “Vlad, you need to stop.”

Vlad looked at me, and laughed. I saw Connor’s grip tighten, “Aw, Melissa, why spoil my fun?”

“Because this isn’t right! Why hurt them?” I point to the girl and Barbod and Nick, and only giving Connor a small look before looking back at Vlad, “I mean, what did they do to you?”

“He,” he pointed at Connor, “was the one who destroyed my plans six years ago. This is considered my revenge.”

“So why hurt the other three?” I knew I shouldn’t do what I was but I had this odd feeling telling me to do it, “Just hurt Connor for revenge. Not ALL of them.”

Vlad looked at me and laughed again, as in he found something oddly funny, “I don’t think so, Mel.”

“No,” I looked at Connor, pale in the face, “she’s right. Let Terry, Barb, her and my little brother go,” Connor gritted his teeth and grabbed a tighter hold on the rope, “’cause if you did ANYTHING to hurt them,” he took a step towards Vlad, “I’d murder you so fast that you wouldn’t have time to scream.”

Vlad, blankly, looked at Connor, a small hateful grin forming on his face. He laughed, quietly at first, then grew into a malevolent mirth, “You know, child, that killing you first will be a great pleasure. Your fate is about to lead you to your own demise- which will be down the wrong road in your life.”

Connor took another step closer, and stopped. His face was slightly pale and he started to gasp for air.

“Connor?!” I looked over to Barbod who was glancing between Nick and Connor, “Connor, don’t give up! Come on! Nick needs you! Terry needs you…!”

He looked at me, “Mel and I need you!”

I glanced at Connor, who stood, unbalanced one hand suspended away from the rope, his other hand firmly gripping the rope and his head drooping. His usual brown eyes were shallow, dark, and misty. They were small, white and grey with a slight tinge of black. I was amazed as he slowly sunk into the ground and disappeared, rope and all. “What the hell?” Vlad pulled on the rope, which easily came back, heard the closet door shut and Connor laugh.

“Once again, I’ve won the first battle,” he grinned, “Never underestimate me in this building,” he held up a short tipped pocket knife, “but I think you should tell Mel there the truth.”

“What truth, Connor?” I asked.

“Mel! Get it through your head! HE KILLED YOUR MOM!” I blinked and felt like breaking down, but I knew I couldn’t. I looked at Vlad who smiled greatly.

“You were the one that killed my mom and LIED to me?”

“Mel, Darling, come here,” I stood my ground, “I’m fine. I haven’t lied to you and never have or will.”