‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 45- Nick

Rach and Terry huddled together, around a ball of my fire. Even though Rach was a fire Elementalist, herself, she couldn’t do the fireballs as warm and sullen as I could.

I watched the grey, metal building, watching, and waiting, for some time of movement, something to burst out showing signs of life for Connor. I was so tired, it seemed a few days passed before Hex and Rachel noticed our disappearances. I sighed.

“It’s okay, Nick,” Rach tried to calm me down, “I bet he’s kicking what’s his face’s ass right now!”

I looked at her and then back to the building. Fire was sparking out from one side and smoke billowed out from the top. I went pale.

“Holy, shit!” Terry jumped back, “No one has ever set HTWBE, the main building, on fire before!”

Even Rach, whose father, Andrew, was the leader and maker of HTWBE, has never seen it, or its brother building, start on fire. I felt like crying, seeing as my brother was still caught in the building and he promised. I felt like running in there and saving him. Rach hugged me, “It’s okay, Sir Nick,” she whispered as the building, as sturdy as it was, fell, still slightly on fire.

As soon as the fire and smoke cleared, a lot of people from the town were gathered around the rubble. Rach was still hugging me and I sighed, “Come, please.”

She nodded and I took her hand. I slowly led her o the old building. She looked at me, oddly, and I sighed, “You watched it a year ago, didn’t you? You watched Connor die twice.”

She nodded; I knew she understood, “My best friend, Barbod, and his girlfriend died, too, Rach.”

“I know, Nick,” she quietly said, “but why did you pull me here?”

“Help me find them. So they can be faced with sunlight once more. Please,” I asked, the tears returning to my eyes. Terry had caught up to us, sort of taking her time.

“Of course, Nick,” Rachel quietly answered, “Connor IS my cousin, still.”

I smiled, sadly, at her, looked at Terry, who also shook her head, and they started to dig through the rubble. I sighed and started to dig through it myself. I stopped, “Rach!”

Rach stopped and ran over to me, “What?”

“Look,” I pushed a large piece of building away to see Barbod, Connor and Mel. My heart froze and Rachel bent down and removed Barbod from over Connor. I helped and looked at my bloody figure of a friend. I felt like crying again.

“Nick,” I looked at Rach who held up Connor, his arm around her shoulder and him limping to me. I looked at him and smiled.

“You didn’t die!”

“Of course not,” he answered and took a sharp, painful breath, “I hurt a lot, though.” He was all bloody, with blood dripping down his body and over Rach. She helped him sit down and I placed Barb next to him.

“You okay, bro?” I asked and he nodded.

“Yeah, but get Melissa. She’s still alive, but not as hurt as I am. Just kind of knocked out.”

I nodded and helped Rachel lean Mel next to Connor and Barbod. Terry grinned at Connor, “Getting into trouble again, Connor?”

Connor laughed, painfully, and nodded at Terry, “when am I not?”

She shrugged and wandered away, “See ya later!”

Connor nodded and looked at me, my eyes still fixed on Barbod, “Rach, can you leave me and Nick alone for a few minutes?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” she stared to wander away, “I’ll go get help!”

“You do that,” Connor mumbled and grinned at me, “what’s wrong, little bro?”

“Nothing, Connor,” I answered and his face twisted with pain, “you should’ve been less self-centered, Connor!”

“I know,” he mumbled and shut his eyes in pain, “but you know me, or you should’ve known I would’ve done that.”

“I know,” I sighed, “he’s going to alright, right?”

Connor shrugged the best he could, “Don’t know. I tried, Nick. You know I did.”

“Yeah, I know,” I sighed and held back tears, “he can’t go, Connor, he can’t!”

“He must when his fate ends,” Connor whispered as Rachel returned with two guys in coats. They looked over Barbod and Mel and Connor before taking Barbod and Mel in their arms and demanding that Rachel and I help Connor after them.