‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 47-Nick

The room was dark. I was tired but I didn’t sleep. My body hurt from the way I was sitting and there were no sounds other than Barbod’s and my breathing and the beeping of the machine that was connected to Barbod.

The door opened, quietly, and Melissa slipped in. I smiled, and offered her a chair, “Is he going to be alright?”

I didn’t answer right away but I knew that I had to, “Hopefully.”

“’Hopefully’? Nothing else?”

“No,” I shook my head as I answered, blankly, “I miss him, Melissa.”

“I know what you mean, Nick,” she answered, “it’s hard to loose someone you loved a lot.”

I shook my head. I had lost a lot more than she had. She didn’t know how painful it was to lose your best friend, “Who’s you best friend, Melissa?”

“Huh? My best friend? I’d say Kayla,” she answered, “why?”

“Because. I’ve watched my parents die, my two aunts, my cousin,” I stopped for a minute and then continued, “I’ve WATCHED Tina get murdered and I was the one who found Connor dead on the floor of his room a year ago,” I felt tears creep up, “I can’t lose Barb, either.”

She quietly nodded and bent down over Barbod’s face and whispered something into his ear and hugged me, “Watch him, please. I still love him.”

I nodded and hugged her back before she wandered off. I sighed and closed my eyes to try and get some sleep. It still didn’t come peacefully.