‹ Prequel: Elementalist

The Legendary Elemenatlist; Book Two of the Elementalist Series

Chapter 48-Melissa

A week passed and I mostly stayed in my hospital room, with occasional visits from Tina, Rachel and sometimes Kayla. I sighed and stared at the ceiling when Connor slowly wandered in. He smiled at me.

“Hey, Connor. Back on your feet already?” I asked, grinning.

“Those straps couldn’t hold me down forever,” he laughed, “How are ya?”

“I’m fine. Just thinking,” I said as he limped, sort of, to me and sat at the edge of the bed. He held his chest for a moment.

“Worried about Barby?” he asked. I had to think of who he was talking about.

“Sort of. How are you and Nick?” I asked.

“Hmm… I haven’t seen Nick today, but I’m doing fine,” he grinned and the door opened.

“Connor, come now!” Tina grabbed Connor’s hand and pulled him along, “You too, Melissa!”

I followed them into the room where Nick and Barbod were. I was amazed.

There, Nick was holding Barbod on his two feet and Barbod limped towards us. Connor grinned and Barbod took my face in his cold hands and smiled at me. Nick let him remove his arm from around his shoulder and hugged me. I cried, “I love you, Mel. I always will,” he looked at me and I smiled.

“You have… brown eyes…” he blinked and sort of turned away.

“I know. But in exchange for my eyes I gave up this,” he pulled his sleeve up to show a long blue word, saying, ‘He gave his soul to the Devil’ on his arm. I flinched.

“You should’ve kept your eyes,” I stumbled over the words, they hurt to say and didn’t want to come out, “why?”

“I… wanted regular eyes again, Mel. My sunglasses are shattered anyways.”

I nodded and hugged him. “Don’t do that again, okay?”

“Can’t promise but yes,” he hugged back, “so how long ‘til we’re dispatched from this place?”

“As soon as you can walk by yourself, Barby,” Connor pulled him, gently, to his bed, “so about a week.”