Death Eaters... Forever?

Barty Crouch Jr

Fred and I were constantly by each other’s sides, as if I’d taken George’s place. George didn’t mind, however; the girl he’d gone to the Prom with was his own shadow now, and we had seen only a glimpse of them throughout the week, when we’d caught them making out in the common room.

I was moved to Gryffindor house temporarily, while I was still possibly under the effects of the Potion. Only anger would set it off now, which was a good thing, because happiness and love were my strongest emotions.

The day of the last challenge loomed on us, and as I got ready to go, I couldn’t help feeling sorry for Harry, who had been pulled into this without his will.

“C’mon, Kyera, you already look gorgeous, now let’s go!” Fred called to me as I was fixing my hair. I sighed. Meeting him downstairs, I smiled.

“Fine, but only because you asked so nicely,” I replied mischievously.

Hermione and Ron had saved us seats in the third row, although we’d be able to see nothing.

The school band stopped their marching tune to let Dumbledore speak. He didn’t have much to say, only congratulating the champions. Harry and Cedric were allowed to both go first as they’d won the last round together.

I watched as they entered the maze, and really wanted this to be over and done with – I had a horrible feeling that that wasn’t what was going to happen.

About half an hour into the third challenge, there was a red flare from the maze, signalling that one of the players was in trouble, and had given up.

It was Fleur Delacour, who was immediately Apparated to hospital, having suffered from a curse. I wondered who had cursed her and shivered as I felt Moody’s – or Barty’s – eyes on me. Looking at him, I could see that there was a fever in his eyes, and he looked… well, for lack of a better word, hungry.

Fred and I conversed mildly, both of us too nervous to enjoy the conversation. I could feel everyone on edge, and knew that they could feel the same foreboding as me.

And then it happened. Harry Apparated with the Tri-wizard Cup, to which immediately the school band started up their triumphant tune. He was huddled over the form of Cedric, and I realised with a roll of nausea that Harry was crying. I didn’t bother with pushing and shoving; instead, I Apparated immediately to his side. I closed my eyes and shuddered as memories of another prone body came back to me. Cedric was dead; I was the first to realise.

“Harry,” I whispered to him just as the school band faltered, veering horribly off tune.

“My son! That’s my boy!” The broken voice of Cedric’s father pierced the sudden silence, and people began to scream. I stepped back, knowing I couldn’t help the pain. I closed my eyes to the sight, but seeing only my past, opened them again.

I was the one to escort Harry, who was in shock, back to Gryffindor tower. We didn’t speak, and I knew he was grateful for it. All I did was support him as he leaned on me, shivering. Dumbledore had told me to take him back to the castle so that he could take care of the chaos the crowd had become. I flinched as the sound of Mr Diggory’s broken voice resonated in my head over again.

When we got to the tower, I made Harry have a quick shower and get changed. I simply waited until he was decent and gave him a small anti-shock Potion I’d grabbed quickly from Severus.

“Albus told me to take you to his office, but first I think we need to deal with a certain impostor,” I told Harry. He nodded, but I don’t think he really heard me.

I walked straight to Barty’s office. I knew immediately that he was there – the light was on and I could hear him rushing around.

“Barty Crouch Junior!” I called out, walking toward the source of the light, which was in his office. Harry simply stood at the door mutely. I sighed and took out my wand. Although I didn’t need it, it helped me to focus my magic, and besides, I didn’t want anyone else knowing my secret.

Moody came out, his eyes panicked. He ignored me, instead going straight to a cabinet in which dozens of empty bottles stood.

“I already know who you are,” I told him, guessing that he was looking for the Poly-Juice Potion he’d been using to fake his identity. He suddenly turned toward me.

“And I know who you are!” He replied, laughing manically. All colour drained from my face, but I kept my wand in place before me. Then he spotted Harry. Grabbing his arm, Barty licked the wound there, which I’d obviously missed.

“The blood of the Dark Lord runs in these veins, and-”

“Alistor Moody, if that is your real name, kindly remove your hands from Harry!” Albus Dumbledore stormed in, wearing his power about him like a cloak.

Instead of waiting, I simply used a charm to move him to the other side of the room by force.

“Mobiliarbus.”

Moody was panting, eyes bright. He looked at me and, very deliberately, smiled. I simply strengthened the spell.

Albus looked at me, nodding his head in thanks. Severus and Professor McGonagall came in behind him, the latter taking Harry from the room.

“So this is who’s been stealing from my personal stores,” Severus mused, watching as Moody’s face and body began to change and bubble sickeningly. In a matter of seconds, Barty Crouch Junior looked up at us. His tongue darted out to wet his lips quickly, reminding me of a snake. Ironic. I couldn’t help but think of his comeliness as a waste.

“That’s enough, thank you, Kyera,” Albus told me, and I released Barty.

“Now, where is the real Alistor Moody?” Barty didn’t move, but his eyes darted over to the huge chest over by the desk. Albus moved over to it, and as he opened it, he called down to Moody.

“You alright, Alistor?” Even I couldn’t quite hear his reply, but the voice seemed healthy enough. Suddenly, I saw movement at the corner of my eye, but it was too late, and Barty grabbed me, taking my wand and pressing it to my cheek.

“You will not send me back to Azkaban!” He pressed my wand painfully hard against my face, and his free hand grabbed my waist tightly. I couldn’t turn around to direct magic at him, and before anyone could do anything, we Apparated.

Next thing I knew, we were in a forest in the middle of seemingly nowhere, and Barty still held me captive.

“Let me go, you bastard!” He only laughed.

“Soon, the Dark Lord will Mark you as one of us!” The fever was back in Barty’s eyes, and he let go of me to pull up his left sleeve. Looking with horror, I saw that his Dark Mark – the Mark of Lord Voldemort – was writhing darkly, like black ink.

However, he’d made a deadly mistake, and I took the chance.

“Expelliarmus! Petrificus Totalus!” I bound a surprised Barty, grabbed my wand, and Apparated back to Moody’s office.

The teachers looked to have barely moved, but when we appeared there, they immediately grabbed the bound Barty Junior.

One more thing to do, I thought. “Obliviate,” I said under my breath, pointing my wand at Barty. I didn’t want him remembering my use of magic without a wand.