Death Eaters... Forever?

The Call

XXX Lucius XXX

I felt sorry for Kyera. She’d been through a lot recently, and being Marked against her will must’ve shaken her. It was bad enough if you were willing. But she was doing well, and I could see that she would be a formidable ally if the Dark Lord managed to win her trust. However, I didn’t think that torturing her would gain her unflinching loyalty. Perhaps if I suggest that to the Dark Lord, he’d ease up on her.

But I knew I shouldn’t even care about her. Yes, she was an intelligent, beautiful – I stopped that thought. For one, I was married – although Narcissa had filed for a divorce to months ago. And second, she was much too young.

My left arm tingled with familiar pain, and I realised I was being Called. I Apparated to the origin of the Call. It was a dark clearing, in which many more of the Dark Lord’s loyal servants were already standing silently. I recognised most of them, and as Severus Apparated next to me, I saw Narcissa in the crowd. None of us spoke.

“My loyal allies,” the Dark Lord addressed us. “You have been Called to witness the death of one of your own.” None of us so much as blinked, but I knew everyone felt just as nervous as I suddenly did.

“Malfoy.” The name hit me like an arrow, but I obediently began to walk to the Dark Lord, trying to think over what I’d done to deserve death. “No, not you, Lucius. You have been loyal. I was meaning your dear wife.” I stopped, the relief almost as overwhelming as the shock.

She met the Dark Lord, and I could see that she was resigned to her fate. I felt mild compassion for her – after all, I’d been married to her for most of my adult life. But it had been an arranged marriage, and we had not even friendship between us. Both she and I had frequently cheated on each other – not that either of us cared.

“Avada Kedavra!” Her body fell to the ground, already bereft of life. Not a whisper of sound broke the silence.

“Narcissa Malfoy has been disloyal. She has been having an affair with a Muggle.” Oh. Stupid bitch, she deserved it, I thought darkly. Luckily, Draco didn’t hold any love for his mother either, so it wouldn’t hurt him.

As other Death Eaters Apparated, I stayed behind, noticing Severus do the same.
“Severus, you have completed your task?” The Dark Lord asked as the last of the Death Eaters Apparated.

“Yes, my Lord. I found the traitor. It took a while, but I managed to extract all the information before I killed him.” Severus gave Voldemort a piece of folded parchment.

“I trust you disposed of the body in an inconspicuous manner?” Snape nodded. Lord Voldemort then turned to me.

“You have something to tell me, Lucius?”

“Yes, my Lord. The girl, Kyera. She lives with me.” The Dark Lord’s eyes lit up excitedly.

“The half-elf. Are you sure?” Half-elf?

“Yes, my Lord. She has a Dark Mark. Although it is silver.”

“Ah. Thank you, Lucius. Expect a visit from me soon.” He turned away. I was aware of Severus’ stare, but ignored it.

“My Lord, may I have permission to suggest advice?” Voldemort nodded, looking curious. “If you are looking for a truly loyal follower in the girl, perhaps it is best to use reason instead of torture – forgive me, my Lord.” However, the Dark Lord only looked thoughtful.

“I shall think on your advice.” It was a dismissal, but I had something to ask.

“My Lord, I thought we killed the elves.” The elves we spoke about were completely different to the house elves. The real elves were beautiful beings, people of the forest and mountains who were so rare and hidden that they’d become myth. I’d read about them in one of the books I’d bought.

“No, we did not. You cannot kill immortals. However, they have ventured to take their own lives. She is the last of Elvin decent. Look after her, Lucius.”

I looked at Severus meaningfully and Apparated.

XXX Kyera XXX

I had cleaned the remaining blood from the Mark on my arm, and the skin had already healed, although it was still tender. I was even beginning to like the Mark, simply because it was so beautiful when it caught the light.

Draco was still sulking, while Lucius had disappeared again.

As I was about to go out to the Quidditch field to let off steam, Lucius and Sev Apparated into the living room.

“Severus!” I ran into his arms, and he patted my shoulder awkwardly, gently disengaging himself from me. My arm protested at the rough treatment, but it didn’t hurt that much any more.

“I’m sorry, Kyera, but Lucius and I need to have a talk.” I nodded, chastened at my childish behaviour.

“I’ll be out on the Quidditch field.” I saw Lucius looking at me and Severus suspiciously and I fought the urge to laugh.

“We’ll call you when we need you,” Sev said. When, not if, the little voice in my head informed me.

After a long hour flying around angrily, I trudged inside and wrote a letter to each of my friends. By the time I was done, my fingers were stiff and sore, but I was a bit happier.
It was almost seven, so I had a quick shower and got changed into a dress for dinner. It looked similar to my old Prom dress, except it was a dark blue colour, not black, and it had straps that crossed over on my back. And then I realised my arm was bare, my Mark exposed. Lucius knew, but Draco and Severus didn’t, so I pulled on a long sleeved cardigan, silver sort of like my Mark. It was hot, but I made myself deal with it.

When I got to the dining room, Draco, Lucius and Sev were already there, waiting for their dinner. I sat down by Draco, looking over at Severus, who looked back at me thoughtfully.
“I have something to tell you all,” Lucius broke the silence. “Narcissa is dead.” There was a shocked silence as Draco and I took this in. I could see that Severus had already known.
I knew Draco hadn’t ever liked his mother, but it was still a shock to hear that someone you were familiar with was dead.

“How?” Draco asked steadily, seeming not in the slightest bit affected by this news.

“She had an affair with a Muggle. The Dark Lord killed her.” Although I didn’t much care for a cheating wife, I thought it overly harsh to judge anyone because of their relationships. Then again, I had a personal experience in this, so I was reasonably biased.

“She deserved it, then.” Draco’s voice was angry, and I knew he was blaming his mother.
I’d lost my appetite. After picking at my dinner, Severus asked me for a private word.

“What happened while I was gone?” I told him quickly of the nightmares, showing him my Mark. He gasped in awe as it caught the light. I smiled.

“It’s silver!”

“Do you know why?” I asked curiously. I had an inkling, but I wasn’t certain. He shook his head and I sighed, disappointed.

“Does it hurt?” He asked.

“Only sometimes,” I replied carefully.

“Do try sleep – if you like, I’ll make you a sleeping draught.” I nodded thankfully. He gave me a hug, resting his chin on my head. I hugged back and felt better.
After that, I managed to fall asleep, even though I wasn’t that tired.