Death Eaters... Forever?

Apparating

All my advanced lessons were prohibited by Dolores Umbridge, so I had to content myself with boring fifth year classes.

Then we heard about the mass breakout from Azkaban. The whole school was – as usual – talking all about the big news. Apparently, more than twenty Death Eaters had escaped from the prison, including Barty Crouch Junior.

That night, Hermione forced me to stay in her dorm for the night while the rest of her dorm mates other than Ginny were at a small party.

It was well past curfew, and we’d eaten way too much sugar, so we were reduced to giggling girls.

“Ok, ok, I got one!” Ginny said as we played truth or dare. “Who would you rather sleep with – Lucius Malfoy or Gilderoy Lockhart?”

“Ew, not Lockhart! I’d go for Lucius, he’s hot when you get past the scowl!” I giggled, the result of the chocolate frog I’d just had.

“Yeah, after that stunt Gilderoy pulled in our second year, I’d choose a frog instead of him!!” Hermione said fervently. Suddenly, there was a muffled yell from the boys’ dorm room.

“Harry,” Ginny and Hermione said at the same time. I was already up and running to the source of the sound and found Ron supporting a pale-looking Harry as they walked down to the common room.

“Get Dumbledore!” Ron hissed at me. I ran ahead to find him.

“Miss Wilson, what is your hurry?” Professor McGonagall exclaimed as I almost collided with her.

“Got…to get…Dumbledore,” I managed to pant out. I’d forgotten my wand in the rush, so I couldn’t simply Apparate to Dumbledore’s office – I didn’t want anyone finding out my gift. Too many people already knew.

“What on earth for?”

“Harry…I dunno!” However, at the mention of Harry’s name, Professor McGonagall began escorting her to Dumbledore’s office immediately. Why can’t she just Apparate?

Not long after I’d warned Albus, Harry entered with Ron, Ginny and Hermione by his side.
Apparently, Harry had had a nightmare about a snake attacking Arthur Weasley. I knew from experience not to discredit nightmares, and shuddered from my own memories.
Albus dispatched the portraits, who returned quickly.

“It was a close call, Albus, but they say he’s gonna make it,” one of the portraits informed him. By this time, Fred and George had joined us, and we all breathed a huge sigh of a relief with this news.

“You wished to see me, Headmaster?” Severus came in, particularly haughty because of the presence of the other students.

“I’m afraid it can’t wait until morning, Severus. Teach Harry tonight, before anything happens.” Grabbing Harry’s arm, Severus stalked out of the office, glancing back one last time to smile at me.

“Kyera, are you able to Apparate to the Order of the Phoenix Headquarters?” Dumbledore asked me, handing me a sheet of paper on which there was an address: Number 12, Grimmauld Place. “I don’t think it is safe for you to stay here any longer,” Dumbledore looked pointedly at my left arm, and I blushed.

“But-” Dumbledore raised his hand, effectively cutting Hermione off.

“Uh, but sir, I don’t have my wand,” I replied, baffled at his sudden knowledge of what I could do.

“I’m sure they will all find out eventually,” Albus replied, smiling.

“I’ve never been there,” I pointed out.

“I have faith in you, Kyereana.” My breath caught as he spoke my Elvin name. I nodded once, shaken to the core, and Apparated…

…right into the middle of an important meeting.

“Kyera!” It was Sirius Black, Harry’s godfather. I’d met him a few times before in my third year. He looked much healthier now. “What are you-?”

“Dumbledore sent me,” I replied heavily. “You know about Mr Weasley?”

“Yes, we were discussing his- wait, you say Albus sent you? From Hogwarts?” By now, everyone had returned to their worried conversations.

“Yeah…” I didn’t see his point.

“But… how did you get here? You don’t even have your wand! And anyway, the wards at Hogwarts should’ve prevented you from Apparating there!” My breath caught for the second time that night.

“Uh…” I was speechless.

“Come,” he dragged me out into the corridor. “Now tell me, how did you do it?”

“Magic,” I said, attempting a weak smile.

“Are you…? No, you can’t be, I’ve met your parents…” He mused to himself. I sighed. As Dumbledore said, they’d probably find out eventually.

“My parents are not the same as those that died in the fire.”

“What…? Explain everything,” he managed to calm himself and pulled me into a small room, shutting the door.

“The parents you knew found me wandering the streets one night, nine years ago. My real mother was a human, but she died giving birth to me. My father was an elf, and he was banished from my former clan for loving my mortal mother. They only found out because I inherited my… gifts.” Sirius was silent for a moment.

“What happened to him? And what happened to you when he was banished?” I was glad he decided to believe me; if I were in his position, I doubted I would.

“He was killed by hunters in my clan, for ‘sport’. I was looked after by the clan, who taught me how to use my new skills – until I committed the same atrocity as my father.” My voice held no emotion whatsoever.

“So, if you’re a half-elf, are you immortal like them, or mortal?” I shrugged.

“Because my growth rate is the same as that of elves, my clan believed me to be immortal like them.” I bloody well hope not.

Sirius sighed, massaging his temples.

“You’re the weapon the Dark Lord is looking for,” he said, more to himself than me.

“Has found,” I corrected. He looked up at me sharply, but I didn’t elaborate. “But why doesn’t he just ask for help from the elves?” I asked. His expression turned to one of pity, and my stomach churned with foreboding (and too much junk food).

“Kyera, they’re dead. They took their own lives so that the Dark Lord would not use them.”

They let me borrow one of the beds upstairs, but I didn’t sleep for long, because shortly after I fell asleep, a loud bang signalled the arrival of Hermione and the Weasleys.

“Kyera!” Hermione practically jumped on me as I walked downstairs. “What happened? How did you Apparate inside Hogwarts? And without your wand-?”

I sighed, holding up my wand. I’d summoned it (with Accio) just before I’d gone to bed.
“But what about-?” She saw the sad look on my face and asked no more. They’d obviously taken a Portkey, because there was a manky old boot on the living room table.

“Hey, we’re gonna go get some sleep now we know Dad’s ok. You look like you need some shut-eye too – you look horrible,” George told me.

“Thanks,” I replied dryly, but followed him back to the bed I’d deigned to sleep in.
As soon as my head hit the pillow, I was asleep. Or, at least, I’m not exactly awake, I amended as I found myself in a familiar stone room.

“Kyera,” a voice beckoned from behind, and I turned to see Voldemort in his young body again.

“What do you want?” I asked bitterly.

“I want you to join me,” the youth replied, smirking.

“Tough luck.”

“Now come on, Kyera, you know you want to.” Is he using the Imperius Curse on me? I asked myself as I was hit by the sudden desire to join his dark cult of Death Eaters. I knew it was only my own desire to be a part of something important. I could even imagine me standing by his side, invincible…

“No. It’s childish fancies, that’s all,” I argued, more for my own benefit than his.
“Think of it as you like, but there is no denying that you belong by my side, along with Lucius and Severus.” An electric shock of adrenaline coursed through my body as I thought again of the possibilities.

“NO!” I wrenched myself away from him, and the last thing I saw before I woke was the surprised look on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, seriously i REALLY need comments so i know whether anyone actually likes my story or not - i need constructive feedback too PLEASE!!!