Death Eaters... Forever?

Second year

We found out that night that Harry and Ron had missed the train, and had hijacked their father’s ministry-owned flying car, which they’d crashed into the Whomping Willow. Idiots.
The week went amazingly fast as we got back into the school routine. I was taking the standard classes – Transfiguration, Defence against the Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, History of Magic, Astrology and Charms. Defence against the Dark Arts was my favourite, although our new teacher, Lockhart (*rolls eyes*), ruined it well and truly. He didn’t even know how to protect the class from imps. Hermione and I had had to subdue them, and only poor Neville – who’d been hung on the chandelier – had been hurt.
Potions with Professor Snape turned out to be amazingly fun, and he was a willing teacher to those who would learn.

I excelled at my classes as usual, surpassing even Hermione, who was secretly jealous but had graciously accepted her defeat. Malfoy continued to be an ass throughout the year, but I enjoyed my revenge. I managed to turn his hair green, give him boils, Confund him and I even gave him a Potion that made him think he was a girl. Ah, great times.

However, all this was forgotten when the Chamber of Secrets was opened. Poor Madame Pomfrey was overrun with patients. And then Ginny went missing.

I was suddenly ‘busy’ when I was invited to meet the Hagrid’s giant spider with the boys. Poor Ron was scarred for life, but we found the Chamber entry eventually. However, Moaning Myrtle, who had been getting worse and worse every day in her moods, prevented me from following Ron, Harry and Lockhart. I’d been with Hermione – who’d been paralysed by something from the Chamber – and so I’d been too late to follow Harry, anyway.

I was there when they brought out Ginny, and Hermione was, along with the other victims of a giant snake, cured of their paralysis.

Apparently, Harry had had to fight the snake, and that Ginny had been lured to the Chamber by a small diary. It had been Voldemort’s, Harry said, and told me that his old name was Tom Marvolos Riddle (if you rearranged it, it became ‘I am Lord Voldemort’).

Over the summer, I was happy to find myself untroubled by Malfoy’s presence, and was pleasantly bored the whole holidays. My family and I went to Greece, where our distant cousins lived. I learnt a lot about Wizard History there, but I was glad when we went home, because I’d missed my friends, and it was nearing the end of the summer.
Hogwarts began again, with our new Defence against the Dark Arts the mysterious Professor Lupin, who I found to be a great teacher. I loved magic.