Death Eaters... Forever?

My new spells

XXX Kyera XXX

I decided to return to my own dorm room until detention was over for the DA members. I cursed myself for forgetting to ask Severus about the Dark Mark, but it was too late now. I fingered my necklace; it had been such a great sacrifice for Severus, but I knew it was testament to how much he cared for me.

Suddenly, my arm flared up again. Oh dear. I decided to Apparate to Severus’ office. Grabbing my wand from my bedside table, I checked that no one was around and Apparated. As I did so, my arm gave one more throb and stopped hurting.

I looked around and shivered. I wasn’t in Severus’ office.

Various witches and wizards including Lucius stood in a small group in the clearing. There were seven people including me, although I was hidden behind a few of them. I was startled by the sudden voice of my nightmare.

“Welcome, my loyal servants.” What? I’m not loyal…but I wasn’t so sure now. “I have called you here to give each of you a new assignment.” Oh dear. I tried to Apparate, but found I was unable to. Lucius looked at me, alarmed.

The Dark Lord called one of the witches up – Bellatrix Lestrange, one of the escapees in the mass breakout from Azkaban. With a sinking feeling, I looked behind me and caught sight of a familiar face. He saw me, too, and looked at me with wide eyes. Barty Crouch Junior.

I was getting more and more panicked by the second, and as the wizard in front of me was called up, the Dark Lord caught sight of me. His eyes widened slightly, but that was the only suggestion that he hadn’t expected to see me. Ignoring the wizard standing in front of him, he glided – yes, glided – over to where I stood.

“Kyera! I’m surprised that you felt the Call,” Voldemort said. “And answered it,” he added.

“That was not my choice – I meant to Apparate elsewhere.” My voice was vicious, and I could feel the Death Eaters gasp at my rudeness.

“Ah, that’s a pity. This is our weapon,” Voldemort told the Death Eaters. I saw Barty look at me in a new light, as though I were a particularly good-looking Chocolate Frog.
“So what happens now?” I couldn’t help but ask.

“I will assign you a job to carry out, seeing that you are loyal to me now,” he smirked, and I could see that his eyes were dancing with excitement.

“I’m not loyal to you,” I hissed at him.

“If you wished not to have answered the Call, you wouldn’t be here.” My blood boiled.

“Well I’m going now,” I replied, turning. He grabbed my arm suddenly.

“No, you are not.” Looking up at him, I felt the force of his gaze but didn’t look away. He told the others to leave, which they did immediately. Oh dear, alone with the Dark Lord. Not so good.

However, he let go of my arm, and before I even realised what had happened, he had turned into his teenage form. Obviously he liked to look good. Wait, did I just think that?
“What do you want now?” It seemed I’d been saying that a lot lately. Especially to him.
“I want you to help one of my Death Eaters once school ends.” I looked at him with a frown, and then laughed.

“No,” I said. His smile faded away like blood leaking from an open wound.

“You will reconsider your offer before then.”

“I only listen to my friends.” He gave me a sudden smile, as if I’d just confirmed something. I was suddenly frightened, terribly and irrevocably. Not of him, but of what he could do.
“You may go,” he dismissed me. I sighed and Apparated with relief.

Class was dull as per usual, but Professor McGonagall and Sev allowed me to take seventh year Potions and Transfiguration, so it wasn’t quite so bad. Toady didn’t know about it – otherwise, she’d prohibit it. Control freak.

In Transfiguration, Fred and George were my partners, although I did all the work. It was fun, though, and gave me a challenge.

I decided to experiment on different potions and spells. I made a new potion, which leeched a wizard’s ability to use magic for up to a week.

However, my favourite hobby was creating new spells, which was what I did after class every day under my favourite tree.

I was practising my newest spell when Umbridge caught me.

“What are you doing?” She asked me, her eyes bulging with outrage.

“Practising,” I replied rudely. I wasn’t in the mood to be pleasant to the nasty amphibian our Headmaster had been replaced with (she’d appointed herself the Headmistress). After all, she tortured me and my friends daily. Luckily, the spell I had just uttered was only a counter-spell to a curse I’d created, so it wasn’t as if Umbridge was able to expel me.
“Detention!”

“What for!” God, she’s a fanatic.

“Using spells outside class,” she replied sternly. I sighed.

“And when am I going to have said detention? I mean, I already do one every day, so I can’t have any more.” As she was about to reply, Severus came over.

“I’ll take over from here. She is in my house after all.” He was curt with her, but she nodded, giving me a toady smile at the thought of the punishment Sev would inflict on me. When she was gone, Severus relaxed noticeably.

“What did you do to deserve her attention?” He asked me.

“Practising new spells,” I replied.

“Oh?” He raised his eyebrow questioningly.

“Mercury Curse. I made it. It causes mercury to fill the victim’s veins until it reaches their heart.” I showed him. “Mercnewria.” The veins in my right arm bulged, turning silver, and my hand became heavy with the metal. “Borveinia.” I uttered the counter-spell before the mercury reached my heart.

“Impressive.” Severus was looking at me proudly. “What other spells do you have?”

“Lesullo, which gives you wings, Enjurio energises you when you are tired, Jementa causes any enemies close enough to choke, and Sternuria stops the victim’s heart.” He looked even more impressed, but I wondered privately why I’d created so many curses. To battle against Voldemort, of course. However, I wasn’t so sure.

“Well done.”

“I also made a new potion.” I took a crumpled piece of paper from my pocket, which had the ingredients to my magic-leeching potion. Sev read it through and looked back up at me.

“It’s so simple, though.” He stated. I smiled. That was the reason I’d been able to create it – otherwise I’d have never found the ingredients.

“Oh, that’s right. I was Called yesterday. I tried to Apparate to your office to tell you, but instead I Apparated to the source of the Call – it was a complete accident!” He stilled.

“You – what? What happened?” I explained, and when I’d finished, Severus stood there for a moment, lost in thought.

“Next time, come to me and we’ll go together,” he offered. I nodded in relief. Then I realised what he’d said. Next time?