Death Eaters... Forever?

The Wand

“You know you didn’t deserve Fred, any more than you deserved Damien. You betrayed Fred, becoming the Dark Lord’s friend…” The ceaseless whispers within my head distracted me from the intense cold the Dementors’ presence had caused. A sudden flashback to my father’s death caused me to cry out. I thought I’d been learning to block the memories out, but the Dementors were still able to bring back my worst memories.
Another flashback – this time, it was of Damien, when he told me he didn’t want me anymore.

“I’m… innocent!” I breathed through my teeth, shuddering as wave upon wave of pain tried to drown me.

It had been nearly six months since I’d been brought to Azkaban, and my only consolation had been my Occlumency, which prevented me from going mad, at least. My emaciated figure arched up as the Dementor above me came closer, sucking away at my memories.
“And no one even came to see you on Christmas day! You didn’t deserve it, that’s why! No one will ever forgive you for what you did!” I groaned against my will; this was my Achilles heel. On Christmas Day, Azkaban prisoners were allowed visitors. I’d waited for that day with a growing anticipation, hoping to see Sev and perhaps Fred. I’d even used up my daily water to wash my face, so that I didn’t look so grubby that I was unrecognisable. The only reason I used it was because of the Unbreakable Vow, which prevented me from even using my Metamorphmagus magic to change my looks.

Suddenly, through the haze of memories, there was a loud thump as a metal door clanged against something. Could it be? A shred of hope, long smothered by the Dementors, reignited in my chest. But I couldn’t let myself get my hopes up only to be crushed.

“Kyera Esheron Wilson! Can you hear us?” The Dementors tore away from me, dissolving like smoke. I tried to use my voice, but all that came out was a dry croak. I tried again.

“Yes,” I managed to whisper in a hoarse voice.

“Stand against the far wall and stay there!” I did as I was told. Another dull metal clunk told me that they’d opened the door to my cell.

“Kyera,” it was Lupin’s voice. I turned toward him, but collapsed as the light hit my eyes and blinded me agonisingly. “This is Jasper Esrelle Treele. We do not have any available empty cells, so he will be joining you in your cell. We are petitioning for your release. We caught a Death Eater who confirmed your innocence. We will get you out as soon as we can.” My breath caught, and my heart, which I’d thought lost to hell’s fire, suddenly began to beat again.

“Thank you,” I whispered, opening my eyes a slit. I didn’t know if they heard me or not.

“Jasper here has been accused of the murder of Narcissa Malfoy – she was killed just over a year ago.” I knew that already, of course; however, I also knew that Jasper was innocent. When I get out of this accursed hell-hole, I’ll be able to help him, too, I thought to myself, trying to stifle the pity I felt for Jasper.

XXX
When they left, Jasper collapsed on the floor. He had nothing wrong with him but his own sadness. I moved over to him; it had been so long since I’d been near a warm body.

“Hi, I’m Kyera,” I croaked out. He looked up and cracked a weak smile.

“I’m Jasper – you can call me Jet, though; it’s my nickname.”

“I like it.”

Before I could say any more, I felt the temperature drop.

“Get behind me – to the corner!” I hissed at him. Hopefully, I’d be able to shield him or at least partly protect him from the Dementors.

“More prey?” I felt the Dementors shift in anticipation.

Get away from him! My mind powers, which had lain partly dormant, only there to protect my sanity, sprang to action, and I shielded his mind from them. They shrieked in rage and promptly began to attack me.

XXX
I swam up from the layers of wooziness, and found myself in a bed – a bed! I was wearing a hospital gown, so I registered where I was. I remembered being attacked by the Dementors, but then there was nothing. I supposed I passed out.

A nurse came in, and seeing that I was awake, began to question me, taking my temperature and blood pressure, before letting in the visitors.

“Kyera!”

“Kyera, we’re so sorry!”

“We missed you!”

“So much happened!”

This was all that I managed to decipher, but I could see Fred and George standing by the door, George looking guiltier than sin. Ron, Harry and Hermione stood in a cluster at the base of my bed, and Ginny and Autumn were off to the side. Mr and Mrs Weasley stood by Lupin and Moody, and even Lucius and Draco were there, for once not demanding sole attention. Dumbledore stood by my bed, and Severus – the one person I wanted to see – was standing right behind him.

“Severus! Fred!” That was all I managed to get in before the swarm of people overwhelmed me with noise. I still felt light headed after six months in Azkaban, but my emaciated form was making me remember those months.

“Wait, guys, wait.” They fell silent one by one, while I concentrated on changing the shape of my body. Obviously I’d been bathed, because I was clean, and once I’d returned to my old self – literally – I finally looked up at Dumbledore. He was looking down at me, great eyes filled with sorrow, guilt, and…tears? Then again, I’d had a lot of time to reflect, and although I wasn’t particularly angry, I felt that he deserved to feel bad.

“Kyera, I’m so sorry about making you take that Vow. It was stupid of me to leave you nearly defenceless against the Dementors.”

“Well, obviously I cannot punish you more than you have punished yourself, so I’ll forgive you and move on.” I wasn’t about to curb his bad feelings, as he’d been the one to leave me defenceless, as he said, but I still forgave him.

One by one, everyone greeted me, apologising for their ill feelings about me, and promised to make it up to me. Fred and George were the last ones there, and although I was impatient to speak to Sev, I needed to prevent George from feeling bad. Sensing an awkward moment, everyone went out to the waiting room, leaving Fred and George alone with me in the room. Fred was obviously there mostly for peer support.

“George, I-”

“I’m so sorry, Kyera-”

We began at the same time. We laughed at this, dispelling the tension in the air, and I was relieved, immediately cutting George off as he began again.

“George, I don’t blame you. You did what any normal person in that situation would do, and I didn’t exactly make it easy on you.” He smiled at this, and he and Fred began to talk about what had happened while I was in Azkaban.

Apparently, once I’d gone the Order had been attacked badly, and Sev had nearly died protecting Fred from Death Eaters. I had to reign in my emotions, because I’d been without the use of my powers for so long that I’d forgotten how to prevent them from affecting the surrounding area. Luckily, only a glass shattered, which George repaired.

After the attack, there had been a sudden disappearance of all Death Eater sightings, and for almost four months there was nothing. Until, that is, there was a Death Eater raid – on Christmas Day, in fact – in which they captured Mulciber. He’d been given Veritaserum and had told the Order of my innocence. This made me remember something, and as Fred and George finished with their account of what had happened, and how well their shop was doing, I asked for Dumbledore and Severus.

“That man, Jet – wait, um, Jasper! He’s innocent!” Dumbledore looked taken aback. “Why didn’t you tell him, Severus?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he replied, frown on his pale face.

“Jasper, the guy that was accused of Narcissa Malfoy’s murder!”

“Albus, you didn’t tell me about this!”

“I didn’t think it was important – or that we’d be wrong!” Severus just shook his head angrily.
“I will petition for his release then – do you have evidence?” I nodded.

“Ask Lucius. Just don’t put him in Azkaban; I’ll be left without a home, and so will Autumn and Draco.”

“Autumn has been spending her time at the Burrow when not at Hogwarts, and I’m sure Draco has other relatives. However, I promise not to put him in Azkaban.” I sighed, relieved.
Dumbledore left the room, leaving me alone with Severus.

“I heard you nearly died.”

“It wasn’t that bad.” He was lying, I knew that, but decided to let it be.

“Oh, and we finally know who gave you that Forsunde Mania Potion ages ago,” Severus changed the subject skilfully. I cocked my head to the side questioningly. “It was Igor Karkaroff – he thought it was poison, and meant to kill you because he found out that you were the weapon the Dark Lord wanted. Although he’s a Death Eater, he’s reformed, so this was to prevent the Dark Lord from winning.”

XXX
After another day in St Mungos, I was released, whereupon I was taken to Hogwarts. There was a change in staff – instead of Dolores Umbridge, a man named Professor Slughorn had taken over the Defence against the Dark Arts position. Dumbledore decided that it was in my best interests to take his classes. Severus wasn’t very happy with that, but he was able to teach me in my free periods.

My wand had been snapped when I was convicted, so I was without a wand. Lupin offered to take me to Ollivander’s, but before I said yes, I had an idea. Apparating to the dreary old Order Headquarters’, I traipsed upstairs. Sure there was no one in sight, I went to the section of wall that Sirius had showed me, where there was once a door. To my surprise, when I touched it, a part of the wall collapsed and opened. It was door-sized, so I had no difficulty getting through it. It was as if I’d never left the room; the Personality Globe was still on its podium, this time glowing a pale pink. I supposed that meant I was happy; after all, I’d just found the place I thought had disappeared with Sirius. I pushed the thought of his smiling face away, well practised in hiding my loss and grief for him.

I walked to the podium on which the wand my father had made was on, and with shaking hands went to pick it up. I had a theory that, because I’d had my other wand at the time, I hadn’t needed this one, and therefore it rejected me.

My fingers curled around the thick wood, and I picked up the beautifully crafted wand. I smiled as the most peaceful feeling came over me, and my hair was ruffled, not unpleasantly, by an imaginary wind. Taking my new wand from the room, I closed the door and left the Headquarters’, returning to tell Lupin that I didn’t need to go to Diagon Alley.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please rate, leave a message, so that i know whether its worth continuing or not!!