Death Eaters... Forever?

Nightmares

I sighed. It was only halfway through my third year at Hogwarts, and I was already bored. Severus Snape was giving me advanced Potions lessons, along with my other subjects, which were almost as many as Hermione had taken. Almost. She confided in me what Dumbledore had given her, a strange contraption which could turn back time, which allowed her to take two classes at once, literally.

I’d just finished the last piece of homework I had, and decided to go to the Gryffindor common room. Slytherin was so boring, and everyone seemed to be determined to judge me for my relations with Gryffindor.

Greeting Ginny happily – we’d become good friends after the Chamber of Secrets incident last year – and sat down by a frustrated Ron. He was failing miserably at the Potions essay we’d been set on the uses of Horndipp blood. I’d already completed this, and I knew it would get me another A+.

“Ron! We had a week for this and you’re only starting this now? It’s due in tomorrow!”

“I know! I did try before, but I can’t do it!” That was Ron’s excuse for everything, and I knew what he was thinking when he looked at me hopefully.

“No! I’m not helping you again! If Hermione won’t do it, then I sure won’t!” God, I was a bitch sometimes. Ah well, the perils of being a Slytherin, I guess.

“Kyera!!” Two voices I knew well called to me happily, and I turned to grin at Fred and George. ‘Wanna help us with our new project?’

It was well past our allotted curfew when I finally left the Gryffindor common room for my own dorm. Once again I sighed and wondered why I was even in Slytherin. Oh well, I shrugged to myself as I got into bed quietly.

Ugh. I knew immediately that I was having another of the now-familiar nightmares. It was as if a great eye were searching for me. The oppressive feeling came closer, but so far, it hadn’t found me. I was scared, but still well aware that this was only a nightmare, and I knew how it would end. The eye would go away, and I would wake up suddenly. Having restless nights such as this was exhausting me.

Then, the familiar feeling of the nightmare disappeared, and the eye fell on me. I heard a hissing voice almost like the whispering of a snake which scared the hell out of me.

“Ah, there you are, young one!”

I jolted out of the nightmare, cold sweat covering me. My skin was cold and clammy, but I began to calm down when I realised the nightmare was over. I was wondering about it all lesson, although Snape’s lesson banished it temporarily from my mind – I needed to concentrate absolutely, or I’d get the potion wrong, and Snape would be disappointed.
Strangely enough, that was the last nightmare I had of that kind, although I had rather normal ones of Dementors killing Harry.

The whole episode with Harry’s godfather was over rather quickly, although I helped indirectly. I was sad to hear that Professor Lupin wasn’t coming back, but I could understand how he felt, and I respected his choice. Harry and I kept in touch with him, and I frequently asked him for advice on some things.

On the last week of school, I received a letter from my parents.

Dearest Daughter,

Your mother and I are going away on Ministry business for a while. You will be staying at my good friend Lucius Malfoy’s house. I expect you to treat him with respect, along with his family. They are doing us a favour, and I will be very angry if you disrespect him.

Yours truly,
Father.

“Crap!” I exclaimed, to which nearly the whole of the Slytherin table laughed at me. I caught sight of Malfoy, who had gone a pale green colour, and his own letter – possibly explaining about me coming to stay – lay crumpled in his fist. He gave me a death stare, to which I replied in kind. I felt as annoyed at him about having to live with him. Again.

Ah well, at least I’d have something to do this summer.