Death Eaters... Forever?

What could have been

“Is that enough time to get yourself ready?” I asked Harry as we walked to Defence against the Dark Arts class.

“I think so. Anyway, I’m scared that if we wait longer than a week someone else might die.” I’d been thinking that, and hoped that I was enough of a distraction to keep the Dark Lord from killing.

“You’re really brave, you know. You’re in the most danger, and I know this will be hard for you. I’m surprised you weren’t sorted into Gryffindor.” I smiled.

“Thanks, but I think this just goes to show how devious I can be.” Harry laughed. “Anyway, I can’t die, remember?” I didn’t want to think about how much this would affect me; there was simply no other way. I just hoped that I would be able to resist him when he was dead – it would be no easy task. However, just thinking of what he accidentally did to Fred was enough to boil my blood.

“So when are you going to start?” Harry asked. I took a deep breath and let it out again.
“Tonight.”

XXX
I took my time getting back to my dorm from my last class; it was hard to even think about what I was going to do to Tom. However, I couldn’t hold it off forever.

“Kyera, are you alright?” I jumped at Seamus’ voice. Forcing myself to smile, I assured him I was simply feeling tired.

After failing miserably at concentrating on my homework, I decided to retire to my dorm. However, instead of dressing for bed, I checked that there was no one around to see me and Apparated to Malfoy Manor. It was the closest I could get, as I didn’t know where Tom actually lived, and I wasn’t inclined to return to the street Barty had taken me to so long ago.

“Hello Evrie,” I recognised one of the house elves. Before I could ask, he pointed to the living room and went on his merry way.

As I drew nearer, I could hear quiet voices emanating from the living room. One of them was Lucius – and the other (surprise surprise) was Tom Riddle.

“…I do wish her moved, Lucius. Dumbledore is obviously not a good influence on her.”

“Oh, I beg to differ, my Lord-”

“Don’t patronise me, Lucius! I thought you of all people would understand!”

I decided it was simply too risky to be caught eavesdropping; it would ruin my plans.

“Lucius?” I called out timidly. The voices immediately cut off.

“In here, Kyera.” I walked into the living room. Tom – not in his teenage form – was smirking at me knowingly, and I had the feeling he knew I’d been eavesdropping.

“Would you like something?”

“Uh, actually, I wanted to talk to Tom- uh, the Dark Lord. But I’ll speak to him later, seeing as you’re busy-” I partly wanted them to agree for me to go, but I was out of luck.

“No, we’ve finished here. Would you like to come back to my…house?” Tom asked, his red eyes fixed intently on my face. I didn’t need to force a smile as a warm feeling coursed through me.

“I’d like that.” I realised Lucius was still there, looking at me as if I were mad. But I didn’t care; all I wanted to do was follow Tom to the ends of the earth and beyond. Even in his darker physical form, he had an immense hold over me, almost as if he had his own personal gravitational pull.

He held out a pale hand to me, and I glided over to him. He pulled me close to his side, making my heart beat as though I’d run a marathon, and Apparated with me. It was commonly called Side-Along Apparition, although it was usually used to transport inexperienced witches and wizards who were unable to Apparate on their own. Obviously this wasn’t the case, but I much preferred it. Of course, that may have been due to having his arms wrapped around me.

I suppressed my sadness as he pulled away, realising we were already at the house.
“So, what did you want to talk about?” He asked. As I watched, he melted into his teenage form, and I almost gasped at his perfection. He smirked at my reaction.

“I, uh…” But before I could think up anything, he brought his hands to my face and brought his lips to mine.

There are no words in the English language to describe how I felt, but I’ll do my best. It was as though I were flying. My legs went to jelly and I was frozen for a moment, unable to think at all. However, the movement of his surprisingly soft lips brought me back to reality, and I returned the kiss furiously. My body welded into his, and my arms flew around his neck in a tight embrace. I deepened the kiss and slid my tongue into his waiting mouth. It was pure bliss. I forgot everything, all my worries, all my cares…all my plans.

I lost track of time, but eventually we had to pull away to catch our breath. He held me in his arms, his eyes a deep ruby red. It was as though he looked into my soul. Get a grip on yourself, Kyera! I berated myself mentally. I needed to carry out my plans, no matter what – even if I could barely think in Tom’s presence. I forced myself to dredge up the image of how Fred looked before I saved him, and it helped a bit.

“I have to go,” I said hastily, and before he could stop me – or I could think twice – I Apparated back to Hogwarts.

I didn’t get any sleep, so instead sat in the Slytherin common room for the night, thinking. I wasn’t usually this bad at sleeping, although I sometimes had bad nightmares (normal ones), so as it approached morning, I felt like death.

“Are you alright, Kyera?” I was startled from my mindless trance as Draco walked down.

“Y-yeah, fine.” He looked at me in obvious disbelief, but didn’t push the matter. I sighed. I should really stop wallowing in my self pity and get over it.

I forced myself to get up from the couch and have a quick shower. It woke me up a bit, but I still felt like shit.

I was late for my first class, Charms, but Professor Flitwick didn’t even notice.

It was annoying when everyone kept asking if I was alright, especially since I couldn’t tell them.

I needed to get it out, and there was only really one person I could talk to about it.

“Harry, can I talk to you after class – privately?” I asked him as Flitwick gave us a lecture on why difference in weight would not affect a spell but density would. Harry looked at me, concerned, but nodded. He looked thoughtful for the remainder of the lesson, and I knew he wasn’t concentrating on class.

I was glad when Charms finished, although it meant I would have to face what happened. I knew that it would haunt me to no end otherwise.

“What happened?” He asked me as soon as we were away from the others.
I sighed and explained that Tom had kissed me.

“And now I don’t know if I can carry through with the plan,” I finished shamefully.

He looked at me, an unreadable expression on his face.

“You can do it. You know how many lives this will save. I know it will be hard, and I can’t begin to imagine what you will have to go through, but you will do this in the end.” I nodded, choked up with emotion. It meant a lot to me, him saying that. I gave him a weak smile and hurried off to my next class ahead of him, holding back the tears.

XXX
“You weren’t very focussed in class today. Mind telling me why?” Sev came up to me after Potions ended two days later.

“I-I can’t. Not yet, anyway,” I amended as he gave me a disappointed look. He knew me well enough not to push it, and left me to pack up my cauldron and books before leaving class.

“Hey, can you help me with some of my homework? Hermione refuses to,” Ron asked me as I caught up, making a face.

“How many times have I told you – if she won’t help you, then I won’t.” He realised it was no use trying to recruit me as his personal homework slave and shrugged, walking off after the Gryffindors.

I decided to just go back to Slytherin common room and try to do my homework.

Fortunately, I managed to finish my fourteen inch essay for History of Magic, and began on my Potions essay. However, just as I finished my sentence, my left arm suddenly sent out a sharp spike of pain, and I dropped my pen with a yelp.

Oh shit, not now, not today, I thought helplessly. My arm gave an extra hard throb, so I ran to the Gryffindor common room, leaving my things on the table in my own common room.

“Harry, it’s now.” I hoped I was right about Tom not Calling his other Death Eaters along with me.

“What? But I thought-” I pointed at my sleeve, under which I felt my tattoo writhing. He seemed to get the point, and nodded.

I’d left a special Portkey behind a centaur statue on the second floor, which would theoretically allow Harry to get past the Hogwarts wards.

“I’ll see you soon,” I promised him, and before I could once again stop myself, I Apparated to the source of the Call.

As the world stopped spinning, I found myself in the centre of an unfamiliar room. I nearly fainted with relief – and disappointment – when I saw that it was only Tom and I.

“Hello, my love,” he said, walking over. I stopped breathing at this simple sentence. My love? He loves me? After the initial shock, I gave him a blinding smile, happy to my core. I wouldn’t think of what would happen soon.

“Hello, Tom,” I replied, and he took me in his arms and kissed me as passionately – if not more so – as our first kiss two days ago. After an immeasurable time, he pulled away regretfully. His eyes were intent, looking straight into mine. I had the feeling he knew about my betrayal, but made sure my wavering confidence didn’t show on my face.

“I’m glad you came. After your unorthodox disappearance two days ago, I thought you may have decided you didn’t…” He didn’t finish, the agony in his eyes plain to see.

“I’m sorry; I guess…it just…scared me.” I admitted, and he smiled down at me softly.

However, as I was being lost in his gaze, a loud pop signified an Apparition. I didn’t even have to see who it was to know.

“Sectumsempra!” Before Tom even had the chance to repel the curse, I stepped in front of him. As the curse hit my side, a searing pain hit me, and I gasped, putting my hands on my side in an attempt to stop the sudden flow of blood.

I turned to Tom, who looked down at me in horror and helplessness. I put my bloody hand to his cheek.

“I’m sorry.”

I collapsed deliberately, so that Harry would have a clear shot.

“Cruc-”

“Avada Kedavra!” Harry got there first, and it was as though I’d been hit by lightning. Tom was dead.

Even now, my side was barely scratched, and the cut was nearly gone. I got up, refusing to think about what had happened.

“Where’s his body?” Harry asked me, horrified.

“Those with Elvin blood don’t leave bodies when they die. It’s to do with our immortality.” I turned away from him. What am I going to do now?

.:Tom?:. I asked in my mind. There was no answer, no disturbance that signalled his presence. I nearly collapsed with the pain of it, but forced myself to stay standing.

“Tell Dumbledore what happened. I will return to Hogwarts. I don’t know when, and I don’t even know why, but I just know I will.” With that, I turned my back on him, so he couldn’t see the tears escaping. I felt empty, perhaps because I knew deep down, that Tom and I could have had something. There was something there, and it could have been. Before I could think any more, I Apparated.
♠ ♠ ♠
~END OF~