Death Eaters... Forever?

Severus

School started again, and most of the students were talking about the incident at the World Cup. Three people had died, and many more were injured.

Draco wouldn’t talk about it, and he began his dark revenge against me once again. It was disappointing, as I’d seen a better side to him at the World Cup, but sometimes I caught him looking at me thoughtfully. I couldn’t ask Lucius about that night, either, but I was relieved in a way. I knew I’d heard something I wasn’t supposed to, but I didn’t tell anyone except Severus, who I’d become good friends with.

I was taking advanced lessons in all subjects. I was even learning some of the spells students were not technically allowed to know.

There was also the Tri-Wizard Tournament this year, which quickly became the centre of discussion. Durmstrang and Beauxbaton students were due to arrive this week, and everyone was excited, even those who couldn’t take part. Fred and George weren’t happy at all that they were only a few months too young to take part, but as usual, they had a few tricks up their sleeve.

I had my extra Potions lesson again today, and I’d been learning how to make truth serum and its antidote, an extremely advanced Potion.

“Have you added the dried Lumba root yet?” Snape asked me. I nodded.

The few students who knew that I was close to Snape – Harry, Ron, Hermione and Fred – were astounded. The reason we had become such close friends was strangely because of my Occlumency and Legilimency lessons with him last year, when he’d found out about my nightmares in second year. No one but Albus and Severus knew about them. Although I was a fast learner, he still found out some of my deepest secrets. He’d been able to relate to some of my sadder experiences, and after telling me his story, he soon opened his heart to me.

“What do you add next?” Snape often tested me, keeping my wandering mind alert and on task.

“Before I add anything, I need to take out the Trilene leaf. Then I need to add the Hippocamp milk and strain the potion.” He nodded with a satisfied twinkle in his sombre blue eyes. Not only was I his friend, I was also his star pupil.

“Have you had any more nightmares recently?” He asked, beckoning me away from the potion to a seat near the fireplace.

“No, you know I’d tell you if I did. And anyway, I’m pretty good at Occlumency.”
“That wouldn’t stop the Dark Lord.” I sighed. We’d had this argument before, but I knew he was right.

“And your… abilities? Are they still improving?” He knew my most dangerous secret, but as far as I knew, he hadn’t told anyone, not even Dumbledore.

“Yes, although my headaches are worsening.” His mouth tightened, and he frowned at this. He hated me being in pain, but there was nothing to be done about it. I had a theory that the headaches were caused by my unusual abilities, although I had no real proof, but Snape agreed with me.

“Be careful. Oh, and I don’t think there is much more I can teach you in Potions, so we may have to end the extra lessons.” My disappointment showed, mirroring his. But then I had a sudden thought.

“My Defence against the Dark Arts lessons have been inconsistent to say the least because of how many teachers we’ve had. I know that you want to teach it, so… will you teach me?” He looked at me for a long time, and I could see the pent up frustration from being unable to teach Defence against the Dark Arts.

“I’ll ask Albus. He may not allow it.” I had no idea why Snape was unable to teach it – from what I’d heard, he was amazingly good at it.

“Thank you. I hope you can,” I said sincerely.

On a whim, I gave him a comforting hug. He seemed surprised, and hesitated before returning it. It felt good, but I had to get back to my dorm.

XXX Severus XXX

I contemplated the hug Kyera gave me. It was the first real comfort I’d been given for a long time. The friendly intimacy felt strange, but nonetheless good. It had affected me more than she knew, and again I wondered why I had become her friend. I’d never let anyone close enough like that before – well, not since- I cut off that thought. Kyera’s own experiences had struck a cord within me, and now I was becoming soft. She was like a daughter to me. Love weakened you, but I couldn’t help it.

Sighing, I went to ask Albus about teaching her.

“Severus,” Albus said when I arrived at his office. Obviously he’d been expecting me. As usual, he knew more than he should.

“Albus, I… Miss Wilson wants me to teach her Defence against the Dark Arts.” He inclined his head.

“Severus, you know my decision, and you understand why.” As I opened my mouth to protest, he held up a hand. “However, I can no longer deny your ability in this subject. You will report to me after each lesson and tell me what you are teaching her. Only her, Severus,” Dumbledore warned. I nodded. She was the only one I wanted to teach anyway. I was stunned that he would let me.

“Teach her well.” It was obviously a dismissal, so I left the office and returned to my own.

I cleaned up Kyera’s potion, and I had to be proud of her amazing gift for not only Potions, but almost every magical subject. So I’d heard.

A familiar agony flared up in my left arm. Pulling back my sleeve, I looked with dread at my Dark Mark. The Dark Lord was Calling his Death Eaters. Me included. I had thought my time as a Death Eater was over, but Voldemort’s return was imminent. I sighed. Albus owed me. Again. Grabbing my wand, I Apparated.