Death Eaters... Forever?

Forsunde Mania Potion

Christmas went flying by, probably because it wasn’t the most exciting event of the year at Hogwarts. I got a bag of Chocolate Frogs from Ron, a book called Hidden Spells of the 16th Century from Hermione, a jumper from Mrs Weasley, a pair of spider earrings from Fred, a Sparkle Fizzer from George, a voucher for owl food from Hagrid and a Potions kit from Severus.

On the day of the Prom, there was anticipation in the air, and not one of us was paying attention in class. Harry and Ron had finally asked someone, while Hermione was going with Victor Krum, although I was the only one she’d told. My dress was all ready on my bed. It was midnight black, and there were no straps. It was cut from the hip and down the side, almost to my knees. I had black boots that reached the dress, showing just the slightest bit of thigh. I was rather proud of it, myself, and couldn’t wait to put it on.

As class ended, we all went to get dressed up for the Prom. As I went down, one of the Slytherin girls pulled me aside. I had a headache, so I wasn’t in much of a mood to talk.
“I heard you helped Draco with his Transfiguration – would you be able to help me, too?” I was surprised – this was one of the girls who had always been bitchy to me. However, I said yes, and continued down to my dorm. As I entered, I looked toward my dress. And stopped. That bitch! She’d only been distracting me. I heard laughter from behind me, and turned. Pansy Parkinson. I might’ve known. She’d cut up my dress, and it was beyond even the repair of magic. My boots were missing, too.

“You bitch!” I screamed at her. She laughed.

“Well, at least we didn’t have to see you in that thing,” she shot back gleefully. I was past angry.

“You made a huge mistake crossing me,” I said in a dangerously low voice. She just laughed harder.

“Well, what are you gonna do? I see you ain’t got your wand,” she smiled and pointed behind me. I didn’t look; I knew one of her friends had my wand. Slowly, I smiled, and she faltered. The anger was burning in my gut, and all my pent-up frustration and bad memories suddenly added fuel to its fire.

I didn’t even have to say the curse out loud, but suddenly Pansy was screaming on the ground, writhing with agony. I grinned and upped the pain.

I heard footsteps coming, but didn’t care. She deserved this. She had been on my case the whole time I’d been at school, and it was time to teach her a lesson about who she was dealing with. Her voice became hoarse, and her eyes were glazed with pain. I knew she was on the edge of insanity, but I didn’t care.

“Kyera!” A familiar voice pierced the thick veil of anger, and I realised someone had called for Severus. I faltered, but it was too late. He released a curse on me, and it all went black.

I woke up in the East Wing, where Madame Pomfrey was taking care of me. I sat up quickly, realising with horror what I’d done. And Fred! I burst into tears.

“Kyera.” It was Severus. I looked over to him.

“What have I done?” I whispered in a broken voice.

“We tested you, and found that you’d been given a Forsunde Mania Potion.” I drew in a sharp breath. The potion caused your reactions to become confused, and any strong emotion at all could make you snap. And then I realised what else I’d done.

“They know! Sev, they know about my gift!” I panicked.

“Sh, no they don’t. I erased their memories. According to everyone but Dumbledore and I, you and her duelled in the common room.” I found I could breathe again.

“Oh, Severus! It was horrible!”

“I know, I know. I’ll be looking for the one responsible soon enough. Now, there’s still some time left before the Prom ends, so go, quick!”

“But I don’t have anything to wear!” He smiled.

“You are perfect in what you are wearing. Now go.”

I ran to the Great Hall, which had been transformed for the Prom. Looking around for Fred, I felt my heart crumble as I realised he wasn’t here. I walked dejectedly out to my favourite tree, and collapsed there, unable to feel.

“Kyera?” A familiar hopeful whisper found me, and I looked up.

“Fred?” I saw a shape detach itself from the shadows and come over to me.

“I thought you’d stood me up,” he said sadly, and his pain melted my heart.

“Oh, I’d never do that! Pansy destroyed my dress, and then I don’t know what happened, and…” I told him everything, knowing that he deserved to know more than anyone. When I finished, I felt a tear slide down my cheek, and in the silver light of the full moon, Fred looked down at me. He wiped away the tear with one finger and hugged me.

“I’m gonna get that bitch,” he whispered to me. I laughed through my tears, and felt happy once again.

He sat down beside me, one arm around my shoulder, and we sat in the shadow of my favourite tree, looking up at the stars.

And then he turned to look at me, his eyes glinting mischievously in the moonlight. Before I knew it, his lips were on mine, soft and hesitant. After that first confused second, I kissed back. He ran his tongue against my lips, and I obligingly opened my mouth, deepening the kiss. After a timeless moment, we reluctantly pulled away to get a breath. He kissed me once more, a simple peck, and lay down, pulling me with him. He chuckled, and at that moment, I was happier than I’d ever been. We didn’t break the silence with words; everything had been said in that kiss. We also didn’t kiss again, but simply lay there staring at the most beautiful night sky I’d ever seen.