Ganked: Life Bitten And Taken

The Little Bird Has a Strong Will to Live

"Dude. Sydney is so hot."

"I'm no lesbian or anything, but I have to say she is. Especially when she gets her revenge."

Aaron just looked at me like 'woah! it's like you read my mind!'. "I totally get what you're saying."

We glued our eyes back onto the flat screen TV that popped out of the small dresser that was at the foot of the bed. The movie was almost over when Kane, Devin, and Grumpy walked into the room. All of them looked exhausted, then surprised to see me laying on Aaron's chest like I used to do with Jason...but Kane's surprised expression turned to a venomous stare.

"Aaron." Kane said sternly.

"Gotta go." Aaron all of a sudden disappeared, my head hitting the comforter, Grumpy disappearing soon after Aaron. I sat up and grabbed the remote, hitting the pause button and making Sydney freeze.

"Geez. That boy is a big flirt. I guess we have to watch over our little pet a bit better." Devin smiled at Kane, who was walking over to the bed.

I glared at Devin. "Shut up. He wasn't flirting with me."

"No? Then why were you two laying like that?"

"Because that's what I do with my friends when we're watching a movie at their house."

"Even the girls?"

"I don't have any girl friends."

"Oh....I see. So you're a slut?"

"Excuse me?!" I flung my feet over the edge of the bed, and stood up,ready to go beat the shit out of him, but Kane put his hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Devin get out."

He just laughed. "I was just teasing you, Riley. Don't take it to heart," he appeared behind me, his lips close to my ear and whispered, "love." Then he disappeared.

I shivered and frowned, sitting back down on the bed. Once everyone was gone, Kane chuckled a bit, making me glare at him. "What are you laughing at?"

"Devin gets annoying sometimes, but he's really a good guy. You'll see." Kane turned to face me, and after a few seconds, his face became serious again, and he put a hand on either side of me on the bed, bending down to be face to face with me. This stunned me and I froze. His lips came closer to mine, almost touching, but then he pulled back and walked over towards his big dresser that was up against the wall, seeming satisfied with something.

"What the hell was that?"

"I was just making sure."

"Making sure of what?"

"That Aaron didn't kiss you."

I folded my arms and furrowed my brows. "Why would it matter to you anyway?"

He froze for a second, then continued to rummage through his drawers. "Because you are my little disabled bird. I don't want the big bad kitty coming in and toying with you."

Great. I'm being treated like a pet. I huffed and crawled under the blankets in bed and rested my head on the pillows, my back facing Kane.

"Riley." I heard his voice close, and opened my eyes to see his looking right back into mine.

"What?"

"Why did you take to him like that?"

"Who? Aaron?"

He nodded. I looked down and brought the blankets up to my neck.

"He seemed interested in me and what I have to say. He...reminds me of Jason."

"Who's Jason?"

"He's-" I closed my eyes. "He was my best friend."

"What happened between you two?"

I opened my eyes and looked into his. "Well we never had a relationship or sex if that's what you're asking, but we were the best of friends until the day my family was killed. The reason why I wasn't home was because I was looking for him or any of our friends. Him and his family just suddenly disappeared. Their house was empty and everything."

"What was his name?" Kane looked at me like he knew something, but didn't want to say it.

"Jason. Jason Noiro."

Kane got off the bed and walked towards his bathroom. "Go to bed Riley. You look exhausted."

I watched him curiously, but then just shut the TV off and pushed the button to make it go back down. I fell asleep as soon as I heard the shower start up in the bathroom.

I woke up to a gentle tugging feeling on my back, then pain. Like someone was pushing down hard on a fresh bruise. I opened my eyes and saw that I was laying on my stomach with my shirt lifted up revealing my entire back. I tried to push myself up with my arms, but a hand stopped me.

"Don't worry. I'm just putting some ointment on your wounds back here." Kane said soothingly. I sighed and rested on my stomach once again.

"Well can you be a bit gentler?" I looked towards the window that looked out over acres of green grass, but noticed it was still dark out. "Ouch!" I felt even more pain, and looked back to see a smirk on Kane's face. There was only a dim lamp on, and the way it casted light on his face made him look mysterious and...sexy. I just frowned and rested my chin on my pillow. "What time is it?"

"Midnight."

"Why are you doing this so late?"

He just shrugged. "I was bored."

"Oh gee. Well thanks for waking me up." I said sarcastically, blowing a strand of hair from my face.

Kane smiled and taped a giant gauze pad onto my back, then rolled my shirt back down.

"Kane?"

"Hm?"

"Why are you doing this for me?" I asked softly.

He rolled me over onto my back gently, and looked down into my eyes. He was standing by the bed, bending down with a hand on either side of me. "Because you have a strong will. When I found you, you were nearly dead. I thought for sure you were going to die, and I decided to save you out of pity. But as time went on, I saw that you would not give up.The whole attack happened twelve days ago, Riley. You've held on so strongly. And you didn't deserve such torture in the first place."

My eyes went wide. Twelve days? I was in a coma? Holy crap!

"The vampire that attacked you was after someone named Orion Leinad (len-odd), and for some reason thought you were involved."

"Why?" I asked meekly, tears developing in my eyes.

"I don't know. We didn't have enough time to ask him questions. He could smell your blood and it drove him insane. We were forced to kill him because of how much damage was done."

I looked at the ceiling, hoping my tears would just get sucked back into the tear ducts, but they just fell out of the corners of my eyes. Kane wiped them away for me.

"What happened to all of my stuff in the house?"

"We moved all the valuables we could find into the basement here."

I sat up and slowly got out of bed. "I want to go see it."

"I don't think that's such a good idea. You're really fragile right now, Riley." Kane stood up straight but didn't move back, forcing me to sit back down.

I buried my face into my hands and cried. I was really getting tired of being so depressed. It was actually starting to frustrate me...but when would there faces go away? When will I be able to close my eyes without seeing their eyes looking back at me? Kane just sat down next to me and brought my face into his chest, wrapping a gentle arm around my shoulders.

"It never goes away. But you will find something in life that will make you so happy, it will mask the pain."