‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Sixteen Years of Emptiness

I closed my diary gently and stashed it under my pillow. It was my only outlet because I didn't exactly want to tell Zach about my weak emotions. He probably wouldn't understand anyway. Guys never did.

It was probably around noon and I had already celebrated my birthday--my sweet sixteen--with Zach. He's like my brother and I can't thank him enough for saving me from certain death. He knows when to be happy and when to tone it down, and I love that about him. Today he had decided to be as giddy as a little school girl! Nonetheless, he wasn't usually so happy, and I didn't see the big deal about my sixteenth birthday. Zach had his over five hundred years ago, I mean, so why should one birthday be so special? I'd never get it.

Anyway, I stopped thinking about that when I heard my bedroom door creak open as Zach stepped in. I smiled quietly as he strode up silently to me, smiling right on back.

"How goes it, love?" he asked, sitting down beside me, an arm around my shoulder.

"Same old, same old," I shrugged. "You having the guys over today?"

"The guys" consisted of Marshall, Nicholas, and Joshua; Zach's closest friends (and mine, too). Joshua told me there used to be another guy, Gabriel, but some punk-ass werewolf chick murdered him. I think I was named after him 'cause Zach and him were so tight and all. But I'm not complaining: he sounds like a cool guy and all.

"Probably," he told me quietly, dismissively. "What are you going to do today?"

"I'm not sure," I shrugged. "Probably head into town and try to make at least one friend that we won't have to share," I joked.

"You can't get any better friends than my guys! But, Gabriella," he continued, somber, "be careful, alright?"

I nodded and kissed his cheek. He was just too amazing.

"I will. Text me if you need anything. I think I'm going to go find something to do."

I stepped out of the house and the wind nearly knocked me over, but I laughed, holding my ground. Wind was so nice when it was blowing through your hair. Especially when you're running with no shoes on. I sighed contently, but then I caught sight of the woods in the distance. I had always wondered what was on the other side, but Zach told me not to ever go there. Though he refused to tell me why.

It was probably nothing. Maybe he just worried too much about my safety. Nonetheless, I took off in the direction of the little town about two miles away. I wondered what there'd be to do there.

Probably nothing, but I needed to occupy myself from the nagging emptiness in me. I just always felt like I was missing something important.

I casted it off as I ran as fast as the wind blowing around me, taking off my shoes to go even faster.

There's nothing better than running barefoot through a good breeze...