‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Sit, Boy, Sit!

"So why exactly did you suddenly want to come here?" the girl, Rosemarie, asked me.

"Boredom. Zach and his friends are the only people I know. It's pathetic."

"Yummy; a house full of guys?" she remarked, smirking. Michael, the boy who had first approached me, rolled his eyes. He snatched her hand and pulled her to him. She laughed.

"So who are you? Not much of a talker, huh?" I asked the last member of the little group.

"Benjamin," he told me quietly, trying to look at me rather than at the display of affection going on beside him. "You?"

"Gabriella."

"Funny, I know someone named Gabriel."

"Yeah, so did my brother. He named me after him. Want to help me find my classes, Benji?" I asked, mocking the seduction women vampires were supposed to have. He smirked.

"I've got nothing better to do." He gestured me over to him.

On the way to the office we had random conversations about everything. He was actually starting to talk more.

"Oh? So you work out, huh?" I asked, winking.

"Oh yeah. Wanna feel my bicep?" he asked, laughing as he spoke. I grabbed onto his arm and giggled.

"Oh, now that's the arm of a man!" I yelled, clinging to it. Benji rolled his eyes, a broad grin on his face. I couldn't stop smiling...until I looked over and saw Aiden staring at me. I heard Benji growl long and low. Aiden glided over nonetheless.

"Gabriella, what is going on?" Aiden demanded, eyes narrowed.

"You know this mutt?" Benji barked. Oh, the irony!

"He's not a mutt, Benjamin. He's Aiden," I told calmly.

"You're a vampire. We don't socialize with the likes of them!" Benji told me, losing his cool.

"Oh? the likes of me? If you have a problem, buddy, just say it!"

Aiden lunged at him, but I couldn't let him do that. I stepped in the way and pulled him into my arms, my ear pressed to his chest.

"Aiden, please," I begged, holding him close. "Leave Benji alone. He's my friend."

I saw Benji glaring at Aiden from behind us. I rolled my eyes, fed up with it.

"I'll see you later, Benji. I need to talk to Aiden." I walked into the office, knowing he would follow. I did see Aiden smirk at Benji, who then growled and strode away. "Be good," I muttered to my disobedient puppy.

"I'll do my best," he snarled, watching Benjamin walk away. "But I promise nothing."