‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Beware: Flying Objects

I sensed something coming at me, so I reached into the air and caught the little piece of paper Aiden had hurled at me. I looked over at him and he smirked light. I opened it quickly.

"So how did you convince him to let him come?"

I wrote him back: "Easy: I faked depression. He's a big softy."

I saw Aiden roll his eyes when he caught the paper. We passed notes throughout the rest of Calculus. The teacher didn't really seem to care. Well, that or maybe I'm sneakier than I thought. I did manage to hit Aiden in the nose with the paper. He hadn't been too happy about that.

People were still staring at me, even though the day was almost half over. I wasn't exactly used to so much attention, and it was a bit unnerving. When the bell rang, I grabbed Aiden's hand and sped out of the room.

"Where to next?" I asked, trying to ignore the whispers.

"Lunch. Want to meet my friends? We sit together."

"You sure? I'm not so sure they'll like me," I admitted.

Aiden sniffed at the air quickly and smiled.

"I can mask that smell." He pulled me into his arms and held my tightly to him. He looked into my eyes and my face was burning up. He let go abruptly--and to my disappointment. "There. All better."

He led me up to a group of people. They tensed a little, but relaxed. I could breathe again.

"Who is this pretty lady?" a boy joked. Still, I felt Aiden tense.

"Gabby. She's the new girl that everyone's fussing about."

"Well, a friend of Aiden is a friend of ours," a girl offered, smiling brilliantly.

"Gabby, these are my friends Jonathan and Lucy."