‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Fluttering like Butterflies

I slowed down as I reached the town's border for it wouldn't be good to draw attention to myself like that. I looked around, scanning the city for something worthwhile I could do. I didn't really see anything, but the wind was pushing me forward as I just stood still, so I let it take me where it pleased.

People in a small town are really nice and polite and tend to know everyone, so they saw that I wasn't a normal face. I got so many hello's and how-are-you's that my head was spinning. I just smiled politely and waved. The people there all looked so normal, homely even. I know that's mean, but I was used to seeing extraordinary people: vampires. I had forgotten how plain humans looked. They didn't dismiss my appearance so quickly, though.

I just started looking around for something worthwhile to do, but there really wasn't much there, and all the eyes staring at me were unnerving. I eventually just darted into the nearest building.

"Ouch!" I heard someone yelp and all of a sudden the room was spinning and I collided with the floor. It wasn't my most graceful moment.

Dazed and confused, I looked around and saw someone sprawled out on the floor beside me. He lifted himself up quickly and fluidly, immediately offering a hand to help me. I refused it, helping myself up to my feet. Partly, yes, it was too show him that I could get up like he had.

"Mind watching where you're going?" he asked, his voice hissing.

"Whatever," I scoffed, looking up at him. My breath got caught in my throat. He looked at me, eyes narrowing like mine had. His eyes swiftly darted away, thinking he could be so fast that I wouldn't notice. He wasn't as slick as he had hoped.

"I haven't seen you around before, huh," he said softly.

"I don't usually come here," I whispered, not sure of what words were coming out of my mouth. I just kept going. "I live out in the country; probably two miles away."

"Yeah. You don't look like you belong here," he commented, glancing at me from the corner of his eye.

"Neither do you," I breathed, stepping closer. He turned to me, staring intensely into my eyes. I stared right back, not daring to blink. He looked so familiar, though I knew I had never seen him, or anyone else that looked like him, before.

"I don't mean to impose," he told me slowly. "But I need to get back to work."

"Do you work here regularly?" I asked, smiling. He caught what I was saying.

"Noon to three. I have a break at two, if you'd like to stop by," he threw in, smirking.

"I might. I might not. I'll keep you on your toes," I joked. "I'll go then." I turned on my heel, but he grabbed out and caught my wrist, twirling me back to face him.

"I hope you do," he whispered, letting go just like that. I nodded, walking out the door.

Only when I was out of his presence did my heart untangle itself from the knot it had been on. I stood completely still until all the butterflies were gone, then I dashed back home, not caring who saw me.

He'd be seeing me tomorrow, no doubt.