‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Church Confessionals

“So do you want to tell me what’s going on?” Nikki asked as we stepped out of the woods, turning me to face him as he hugged me close, covering the stench of werewolf that was lingering on me.

“I don’t want to, but I suppose you’re going to make me spill it, huh?” I mumbled, waiting for him to finish making me reek of dead flesh and blood.

He smiled wryly. “Of course. Fess up.”

“You’ll think I’m insane.”

“I already think you’re insane! And that’s not because of the company you keep,” he insisted. I sighed, tired of him prying.

“I think I love him.” I waited for the screams. I waited for him to smack me so hard across the face that he’d snap my neck. I waited for my life to be over, yet there was nothing. I glanced up at Nick who had this curious look in his eyes. There was a small smile on his face. I questioned him with my expression.

“Oh, what a strange little girl you truly are,” he muttered softly to himself. Louder, he said, “Gabriella, you say you’re in love with a horrid mutt, and I look in your eyes and I believe you. I didn’t think a vampire could ever look at a werewolf like that, yet somehow you manage to do it. I’ll never understand, but I’m amazed that you do!”

“So you won’t tell on me?” I whispered, praying silently. Nikki smiled, patting my back like I was “one of the boys”.

“No, I won’t. But you have to be careful. Marshall won’t like this at all if he finds out and he’ll tell Zach and I don’t doubt that they’ll kill him right on the spot. You have to be very careful, Gabby, understand?” He wasn’t smiling anymore. I nodded, biting my lip.

“Why can’t they just let me be happy?” I asked, blinking away the tears that threatened to fall.

“I don’t know, Gabby. I don’t know,” he murmured, holding me sweetly. “But I want that, alright? And I know that Marshall isn’t the one to make you happy.”

“I know that; he knows that; we all know it.” I sighed softly. “Let’s just go inside. I’m going to my room. Aiden might visit before I go to bed.” I smiled feebly, not liking how complicated things had to be.

“Just be sure to get enough rest.” He laughed softly. “Whoever thought a vampire would need sleep?”

“Well, I’m truly a strange little girl,” I reminded him, giggling.

“The strangest.”

And I sure did know that.