‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Fast, Yet So Slow

The whole day went by slow, yet fast. I don’t know, I can’t really explain it. I hung out with Benji and Rosemarie a little, but mainly I stayed with Aiden and his friends. Lucy was an outgoing girl who was always giggling about something, Jonathan was a bit laid back and kind of lethargic, Aiden was just Aiden, and Leanne was this shy quiet girl that almost seemed to fade into the background, but I was almost positive I could pull her out of that. She was a gorgeous girl and she just needed to see that.

We were heading to lunch when Aiden pulled me aside.

“What is going on with Marshall?” he demanded suddenly, holding my hand so tightly that it started turning white.

“What do you mean?” That had been out of nowhere!

“You know what I mean! His scent was all over you yesterday and now he’s pissed off that I took your virginity, not him. What is his deal?!”

“Aiden, the boy is confused. He just thinks he’s in love with me, okay? He’ll get over it. I don’t like him if that’s what you’re accusing me off.”

Aiden turned bright red at my allegation and released his grip on me. “Well, it makes me jealous,” he muttered softly. I pulled him to me and kissed him.

“I love you, okay? I promise. And I would never do anything to hurt you. Just trust me a little.”

“I trust you. I just don’t trust him. Look, let’s just get to lunch.”

So nothing more really happened. He acted as thought that whole conversation had never even happened, but it didn’t really matter. It was better for him to have brought it up that assumed I was cheating on him. After all, you know what they say about assuming: it means you’re a bitch!

I called Zach after school and told him I made a new friend and was going to her house. He reluctantly said yes, but I couldn’t help but wonder why he hadn’t wanted me to go. I decided not to bother myself with it and paid attention to the conversation going on around me. Jonathan and Lucy were bickering nonstop.

“You two fight like a married couple!” Aiden laughed, snatching my hand as soon as it was free.

“Do not!” they both screamed, glaring at him. Leanne giggled lightly and I smiled at that.

“Well, you and Gabby get along like a married coupe...?” Jonathan seemed totally at a loss for comebacks.

“Oh, that’s a burn,” Aiden muttered, kissing my cheek. “So I hear you’re leaving me for Leanne!”

“Oh, it’s just one day!” I rolled my eyes. And, whispering, I added, “You’ll just come over later, okay? Maybe you can spend the night.”

“Okay!” he whispered back, smirking. “I’m assuming I’ll be getting some again tonight,” he warned. I rolled my eyes.

“Well, this is where I must leave.” I kissed him softly. “Love you, bye!”

I grabbed Leanne’s and pulled her as we ran. She was laughing and it just made me feel so happy. I stopped in front of a house and froze: it was the house that had been in my dream!

“Here we are,” she giggled, pushing the door open. “Dad, I brought home a friend.”

And the man who had haunted my sleep last night stood in the doorway...