‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

It Tastes Divine, Really

I stepped out of the small house that was apparently my home. It didn’t feel like home, though. Zach’s house felt like home to me, not here. But Zach’s house only felt like home when I had Aiden with me, so maybe home was in Aiden’s arms?

I hadn’t a clue. I walked out to the woods and sat down on a lone log that was in a small clearing. I knew this place, I think. I faintly recall a German boy, Ulrich, snatching me from my mother here. But Zach would tell me the truth of how he got me, wouldn’t he?

I sighed, throwing my face into my hands as my shoulders shook. I was trying so desperately not to cry, but I felt a few tears running down my cheeks. I just didn't know who to believe anymore.

"Why are you out here alone, crying?" an alluring voice asked. I looked up and saw a vampire.

"What are you doing on werewolf territory?" I asked him, not making any attempt to stand. He wasn't worth my respect or time.

"I was just in the neighborhood. Unlike you mutts, I have to find people to eat...or wolves." There was a hidden threat, but I wasn't scared. Though vampires were pretty solitary aside from lovers and family, we respected each other. Unless we got into a scuttle, we didn't attack each other.

"You won't be finding a meal here or we'll have trouble," I warned him sternly. He laughed.

"And what are you going to do about it, pup?"

Pup? Was this guy insane? I was no werewolf pup!

"You seem to be mistaken," I hissed. "I'm not a pup!"

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow. I stood up, suddenly not feeling so safe. "What are you then? A big, bad werewolf?" I opened my mouth to tell him off, but he lunged at me, pinning me to a tree. I screamed as my back collided with the bark. "You're not as scary as you think."

"You better get off me right now!" I yelled, glowering at him as I tried to remain calm. He smirked and I cried out as he bit my neck. He didn't release anything to make it painless either! I started bawling as I screamed at him, trying to claw him off.

"Get the fuck off of her!" I glanced over and saw Aiden jump at the vampire, knocking him to the ground. He laughed.

"I'm not scared of a mutt!"

"You will be!" Aiden screamed, bearing his canines. Wait: that was more of a vampire thing to do! And his canines were more like fangs as they extended. He didn't even seem to notice.

But right before my eyes, Aiden attacked his neck, sinking his fangs deep into a vein. The man cried out, thrashing and trying to get away before his body became eerily still. Aiden stood up and turned to me.

"You have a little..." I let my voice trail off and I walked up to him and licked the blood from his lips. I smiled softly. Aiden looked a little dazed.

"I just killed that man, didn't I?" he whispered. I nodded, grabbing his hand and pulling him to me. "I didn't phase. I killed him with my..."

"Aiden, what's going on?" I asked and he shook his head. He probably knew just as much as I did: nothing. "You fought fire with fire. How did it taste?"

"I...Blood tastes divine, Gabby," he muttered before going limp in my arms. I had to drag him home to his parents and as I did I had some more things to think about.

Aiden was a strange werewolf and I was a strange vampire. Aiden passed out easily and so did I. I only feel normal when I'm around him...

So what does that even mean?