‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Knights of the Poker Table

When I walked through the front door I was hit with the smell of vampire boys. The hair on my neck rose for a second, but fell again in an instant: I knew them. I walked into the den and sure enough Zach and "the guys" were sitting playing poker. They all snapped their heads over to look at me, then back down at the decks in their hands.

"Welcome back, Gab," Marshall said softly, careful not to lose his blank poker face.

"Thanks," I muttered, plopping down on the couch between Zach and Joshua. Zach glanced at me quickly before returning his eyes to his deck. Then he did a double take, this time keeping his eyes on me.

"Where have you been?" he asked coolly, trying to act uninterested.

"Around. Some shop."

"Some boy," Zach accused. I blushed and smiled.

"Yeah..." I sighed, heart pounding at the thought.

"What's his name?" he asked. I opened my mouth to answer...

But all that came out was a squeak. I didn't know his name! I had been so caught up in gandering at him that I hadn't found out his name! I looked down, feeling so stupid.

"I forgot to ask..." I whispered, hoping no one would hear.

But they had. The room was full of laughter as they all caught what I had said. I slunk into my seat, so embarrassed. I saw Nicholas' cards scattered across the floor because he had thrown them up to be over dramatic.

"Does he know your name?" Zach asked, giving me this strange look. I could tell he was trying to keep a straight face, though he wasn't doing so well.

"I'm going to my room!" I yelled, getting up and darting out the room. I was only to the stairs by the time they were all cracking jokes about me being struck by Cupid and crap. I sighed, slamming my door shut behind me so they would get the point to shut their mouths!

I fell onto the couch in my room and turned on the television. I had nothing better to do for the rest of the day anyway. I took off my jacket and threw it onto the floor carelessly. But something fell out of the pocket: a little piece of paper. I got up and snatched it, afraid someone would steal it from me.

I opened it and lost my breath: it was from Him, no doubt. But how had He got it into my pocket without me noticing it? All it had was a set of numbers. I could assume it was his phone number, but Zach told me to play hard to get: it's the vampire way. I know this boy who had stolen my breath had to be a vampire for I found him so attractive.

Tomorrow wouldn't come soon enough, I knew.