‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Love Thy Mother

"How does this tracking thing work?" I asked Aiden while he pulled me by the hand. He just kept sniffing the ring and then the air.

"I don't really know. It's kind of just instinct," he told me quickly, focusing entirely on what he was doing. I wasn't going to complain or anything, though. He had things he needed to figure out, just like me. And maybe when he figured this out, he'd help me find some answers.

I was actually really surprised that Zach had let me go. I hadn't exactly lied to him, but I hadn't told the whole truth. I told him I had a boyfriend (a vampire) and that his parents wanted to meet me. Marshall hadn't been there thank God and I hoped he wouldn't find out until I was dead! Zach had shown a slight reluctance, but I guess he was glad that I was apparently over the werewolf named Aiden. I felt bad for lying to him, but it was only a white lie, so it couldn't hurt. Or so I hoped.

"Oh," I muttered, looking around. I had no idea where we were, so I hadn't a clue how he knew where he was going. He seemed so sure of himself, though, so I followed blindly. We'd probably been walking for what seemed like hours before we came upon a large town. It was a bit disorienting since I was used to such a remote place with only a tiny village close by. "Wow," I whispered, staring at the tall buildings.

"It's pretty big, I know," he smiled, pulling me down the busy streets. Something was strange: there were so many vampires mixed in with the humans. That wasn't something so usual, but they seemed to coexist despite the fact that it wasn't exactly coinciding with nature's laws. I actually saw some human and vampire couples!

Maybe if humans and vampires could be together, so could vampires and werewolves.

"How can you find one scent when there are so many people around?" I asked him as he continued to pull me forward without a second thought.

"Maybe because it's my own mother I'm trying to find," he snapped, turning to me and narrowing his eyes. I apologized softly. Surely he wasn't mad at me: he was just mad at his dad for lying to him. It hurt a little, but I just told myself he was upset.

Within twenty minutes we were standing in front of a house. It didn't look too out of the ordinary and I was about to second-guess him since usually we have plenty of money to afford really nice houses, but then he knocked quickly, so sure of himself. A woman walked out.

"Can I help you?" she asked in a bit of a harsh tone.

"I do believe you can," he told her, staring at her through his beige eyes. She met his stare with callous icy blue eyes. The only similarity I saw was in their faces since they were built practically the same way. Well that and they were both tall and slender. But other than that, he really looked like his father, especially the soft look in his eyes. I wanted to hold him so badly then.

"Well?" she asked impatiently.

"I'm Aiden-Jacob Jordan," he told her, waiting for her to catch on.

"Well, that's good for you. Look, I have other things I'd rather be doing than talking to a little kid."

"Celeste, I'm not just some little kid anymore," he told her. "I'm your son."

Her eyes widened as she stared at him, stumbling hopelessly over her tongue as she tried to form words.

I could only imagine how this would end. But for Aiden's sake, I hoped it'd end better than I had pictured it.