‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

No Shame

"Aiden...My son?" she managed to get out, staring at him in disbelief. "But you live with your father and his wife. What do you want me for?"

"I'm half-vampire, aren't I?" he asked, trying to get his facts straight.

"Yes, you are." She paused for a moment before stepping back into her house and gesturing him in. "Look, let's not cause a scene. Come inside. You can bring your lover, too."

I blushed like mad: I'd forgotten vampires could smell the difference between virgin blood and impure blood. Aiden didn't seem at all embarrassed as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders and walked me inside.

"Thank you," he said softly. She nodded slightly as she closed the door behind us.

"We can talk in here," she offered, leading us to the den. Aiden and I sat on the sofa and she sat on the recliner next to it. Aiden's hand dropped to my leg and I rested my head on his shoulder as he rubbed my thigh lightly, smiling at me. "So you're my baby boy?" Aiden glanced to her.

"Yeah. And you're my vampire mother. Why did you leave me?" He sounded so betrayed.

"Your father and I just didn't love each other anymore and he loved you much more. I was still the party girl, Aiden. I couldn't have a baby holding me down. But I do often wonder about the baby boy I gave up. I have to say you must have turned out really good to have such a pretty girl." She smiled at me and I blushed lightly. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bit awkward.

"But you couldn't have visited? I knew my mother wasn't really my biological mother, but I didn't know you were a vampire. You could've told me!" I grabbed his hand tightly before he could stand up and make a fight out of this. He sighed and squeezed my hand tightly.

"What do you mean you didn't know?" She looked genuinely confused. "I told your father to tell you when you turned seven. You know, so you'd be young enough to cope with it, but still old enough to understand." Aiden's face fell as he snatched his hand from me. I reached out, but he turned away from me. I can't begin to describe how dejected I felt.

"He told me you just up and left and that you didn't want anything to do with a hybrid son. He said he didn't plan on telling me!" Celeste glanced over at him, growing angrier with each passing second.

"That mongrel bastard!" she hissed. "Do you see why I left him? He's a lying son of a bitch!" She took in a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I forgot I'm in the presence of a child."

"I'm not a child. I've fucked a girl," he said wryly, smirking. I gaped at him, not so happy with him. He glanced at me and shrugged, as if to say "What's wrong, babe?" I growled at him, but I didn't want to upset him. As soon as we got home, everything would be back to normal.

"I see that. Just be sure to not knock her up or you'll have a baby you won't want in two years." Aiden shook his head.

"I don't need to worry about that. If Gabriella and I do have a baby, it'd be a blessing. I already know she's the one I want to be with forever." He turned to me and I melted like butter for him, forgetting in a second that I'd ever been upset with him.

"I love you," I whispered, kissing his cheek. He smiled that lopsided grin of his that I was in love with before kissing my lips softly.

"Aiden, honey, I'm having some friends over, so you two can go to the guest room, alright?" Aiden nodded. "Just don't be too loud," she muttered so softly I hardly heard her, but I did. I could tell this woman definitely wasn't ready to be a mother. Nevertheless, Aiden helped me up the stairs and to the bedroom.

"Your mom certainly has no shame," I murmured as he closed the door behind us. He laughed softly, walking up to me and grabbing my hips as he pulled me to him.

"I know. Isn't she great?" He kissed my neck softly.

"Sure, she is. I'm glad you got to meet her. I just can't wait until we're back at home and things are normal again." Aiden suddenly pulled back and stared down at me.

"Back? We're not going back."

I stared at him in disbelief. Surely he didn't mean that. I searched his eyes for the lie I knew was there, but...

"Oh my God. You're not lying."