‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

The Birds and the Bees

I was lying in bed with Aiden's arm wrapped around my shoulder and holding me close as we just watched TV. I didn't really feel like calling Zach and taking the chance of upsetting Aiden, so I just cuddled with him and enjoyed the time he was peaceful.

"Aiden, I wanted to—Oh God, you're naked!"

We both looked over in the doorway and saw Celeste standing there, covering her eyes and laughing like a madwoman. Honestly, she had no shame!

"I guess that's what I get for not knocking!" she cackled, nearly falling over as she held her sides. "Oh, wow. Aiden, I honestly don't know what to say except I hope you're being safe!" Aiden looked over at her and then down. She burst into laughter again. "Oh, I'm kidding! I've never heard of a vampire spreading STDs!"

"Uh, mom, you're kind of ruining the moment," he mumbled sheepishly, scratching his head absentmindedly as he looked down.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry. I just wanted to tell you someone called me last night after you two went to bed."

"Who?" I asked urgently, just praying it wasn't a call for me.

"Oh, a good friend of mine hit me up last night and said he wanted to come over and see us. I told him I already had company and I told him it was my son and his girlfriend, Gabrielle—"

"It's Gabriella," I muttered.

"Oh, right. Well, he said he knew you and that he might stop by."

"Who was it?" I asked nervously.

"Oh, he told me not to tell you because he wants it to be a surprise." She giggled. "He's always been so crazy."

"Oh." That certainly didn't help my heart stop beating so fast! Aiden glanced over at me and grabbed my hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

"Well, I just wanted to give you the heads up so he doesn't have to walk in on you two grunting like pigs!" I gaped after her as she snickered before walking out and closing the door behind her.

"Your group just has to know everybody, don't they?" Aiden grumbled, sighing.

"I'm sorry. Vampires just have a lot of connections. We run into each other a lot."

"Speaking of that, I'm a vampire, too, you know? So I'm pretty convinced that you're a werewolf-vampire, too. It makes sense, doesn't it?"

"But what are the odds of two vamp-wolves living so close to each other?" I asked him, wishing he knew the answer.

"I don't know, but maybe there are more of us out there. Maybe there is a whole colony of us. Who knows? It'd be a nice place to live though, huh? Plus, we'd know more about our kind."

"We should go find them." He'd sparked my overactive imagination and my head was swarming with thoughts and possibilities.

"We kind of can't just wander everywhere, you know?" he mumbled.

"Why not?" I demanded, pouting.

"I suppose I should probably tell you what my mother told me earlier, huh?"

Okay, seriously, how many more secrets did I not know about?