‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

He Ruined You

"What?" I asked, trying not to be upset with him for not telling me something that was obviously important.

"Babe, I love you. You know that, right?" he whispered in my ear, holding me so close to him as if he was afraid I'd suddenly vanish.

"I know. Now what did she tell you?" I murmured, burying my face in his chest and inhaling his breathtaking scent. If I could just breathe his smell all day, I wouldn't need oxygen ever again.

"She told me that she knew Zach romantically and they were a thing up until around sixteen years ago."

"So?" My heartbeat settled down. Obviously this wasn't as important as I had thought it was going to be.

"So that means they told each other everything. Do you know why she left him?"

"Should I?"

"Yes, you should." I could tell he was getting a bit impatient. "That was around the time he brought you home with him. Now why would she be so upset about him changing a human into a vampire when she herself had done that before?"

"I don't know." I couldn't even pretend to be interested. This conversation was going absolutely nowhere.

"You could at least act like you're paying attention!" he hissed, rolling his eyes and releasing me from him embrace. I sighed.

"I'm sorry, but I just don't see what you're getting at." You're getting a bit annoying, Aiden. I mean, come on!

"I'm trying to tell you I know what you are, but you don't seem to care! Gabby, I was right! I don't care if you still don't believe me, but it's true. You're just like me. He lied to you, Gabriella. He stole you from your parents and bit you so they'd have to give you up. He ruined your life!" I stared at him, not believing that he would lie to me like that.

"You don't even know him and you're judging him? He took care of me, Aiden! And even if that were true, then why the Hell would my parents have to give me up when your parents kept you?" I glared at him. I didn't like the fact that the person who meant the most to me thought I was a moron.

"Don't you remember? My dad said he didn't tell anyone or they'd have made him give me up! Gabby, don't you trust me?" There was betrayal in his eyes, but I scoffed.

"I try to, but you've been acting weird ever since we got here. Why?" He was silent for a second too long.

"Why are you changing the subject?" he muttered, looking away from me.

"What? You obviously know something I don't!"

"It's probably nothing, okay? Just drop it. We need to focus on this Zach thing."

"There's nothing to talk about!" I insisted, standing up. Aiden rose to his feet on the opposite side of the bed. "You're just taking the word of some woman you hardly know. Maybe she's just trying to make Zach sound bad. Maybe Zach dumped her and she's trying to make him look like an asshole!"

"You can ask him in five seconds," Aiden told me, suddenly right at my side, holding my hips as he pulled me to him.

"Why's that?"

The doorbell rang suddenly. Wait…

"Oh, shit…" I mumbled, glancing out the nearby window. Zach caught my gaze and smiled, but then his eyes widened. I guess he saw who was holding me…