‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Not Your Typical Half-Breed

"Gabby, Aiden, come down here," Celeste called loudly. I tore myself out of Aiden's arms, terrified of what Zach was going to do to me. I only prayed he'd knock me out before he tore off my limbs! I ran down the steps as quickly as I could with Aiden right behind me.

"Hi, Zach," I mumbled to my feet when we got into the den. I didn't dare to look him in the eyes.

"Hello, Gabriella-Jasmine James," Zach muttered, a hint of venom slipping into his voice. I flinched as Aiden snatched my hand in his. "Drop it, boy!"

"Excuse me, but do you have a problem with my son?" Celeste asked him innocently, her voice filled with genuine curiosity.

"Your son? But he's a mongrel!" Zach insisted, standing firm in his obviously pointless disbelief.

"My son is only half mutt, thank you very much," she chuckled, shaking her head. "Worst mistake of my life. But I suppose he turned out okay, huh?"

"So...He's been staying with his father, I take it?" She nodded. "So he's with my Gabby?" She nodded again. "Oh, boy." He ran a hand through his hair. "And tell me, Aiden, have you been corrupting my girl's mind?"

"I only tell my love the truth," he hissed, abandoning my hand and suddenly jerking me to the side by grasping my hips roughly. I gasped a little as the air was taken from my lungs and I collided roughly with his hips. My thoughts scrambled a bit as he nipped at my neck. "Someone has to anyway."

"Get your grubby paws off of her!" Zach hissed, a low growl in his throat.

"Oh? You only want your half-breed daughter to be with a full-bred bloodsucker?" Aiden asked harshly, crushing his lips to mine. He smirked into the kiss. I pulled back and tore myself from Aiden.

"Tell Aiden he's wrong," I begged of Zach. No way would my savior lie to me, would he? Aiden just had his facts wrong, right? I could see something flash across Zach's eyes: apprehension? Or did he just get kicked below the belt?

"Gabby, just what did he say to you?" Zach snarled, his hands clenching into fists at his sides. It was then that I started to feel sick.

"He said that I'm just like him. He said that Ian and Isabel are my parents and you bit me when I was a baby to spite them. I had a dream about it, but it was just my imagination, wasn't it?" He was silent. "Zach?" I had a smile on my face, but I'm not sure why. Zach just stood there, quiet. My smile faded. "You can't be serious..."

"I'm sorry," he whispered, shaking his head as his eyes were glued to the floor. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh, God," I muttered, my hands flying to my stomach as I started to feel nauseous. I tore myself from Aiden and the whole room entirely as I darted for the bathroom. I had hardly closed the door before my throat was burning and I was bawling on the floor. I heard Aiden knocking feverishly on the door, but I couldn't have gotten up even if I'd wanted to. I saw the door get pushed in and the worry on Aiden's face when he was he falling.

I passed out before my head hit the ground and it wasn't the usual blissful, black darkness that usually followed my blackouts. This one was painful and I didn't know if I ever wanted to wake up.

No, I definitely didn't want to...