‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Waiting and Watching

The next morning I woke up just as any other day. It was around noon. I know it's unheard of for vampires to sleep, but for some reason I just had to. Zach couldn't figure it out either, so he settled with "It's quite simple, Gabby: you're just a freak". It worked for me because I honestly couldn't care much less. The only thing that bugged me was that I had to wait until two to go see...

Well, whatever his name was. I'd be sure to find that out.

I trudged down the stairs heavily, not caring who heard me. I heard some guys talking so I figured the guys had never gone home. My hair was a mess and I was only in a tank top and my underwear, but I didn't care what I looked like. I shuffled into the kitchen wearily, grabbing some bread and throwing it carelessly in the toaster.

And another thing: I eat human food. And it actually tastes good! Zach doesn't understand that part of me either.

"Avert your eyes lest you get turned on, Marshall," Nicholas muttered. Just as the words left his lips, both Joshua and Marshall glanced over. Josh shrugged and turned away slowly, but Marshall whipped his head away as soon as he saw me. I laughed.

"Self-esteem lowered," I joked, checking on my toast.

"I didn't mean you're ugly!" Marshall hissed, suddenly right behind me, holding my hips tightly.

"Okay, sorry," I whispered, trying to relax. He was always so weird around me; so moody.

"It's fine," he breathed, ripping himself from me.

I grabbed my toast and ran after that event! Nothing else was really happening, so I decided to go ahead and head for the town. I'd wasted half an hour around the house, so that helped.

When I got to town, I noticed that a lot more teenagers were running around. I think it was Saturday or something. I didn't really keep track since I didn't have a schedule. But I looked in through the window of the place I'd met that boy who had made me so feeble. He was running around talking to people, but I saw him, for a split second, glance at me and wink before continuing on with his work.

My heart was racing as I steadied myself again. He had such a hold on me! I didn't like it, but I didn't exactly hate it either. I didn't have much time to myself before two boys came up to me.

"What're you doing just sitting there?" one asked.

"I'm waiting on someone," I told them, watching as the took in the sound of my amazing voice.

"Who?"

"This boy," I smiled, talking to him like he was a little kid, though he was probably not too much younger than me. We talked for quite a bit.

"Are you going to school here? Are you new or what?" the other one piped up, probably wanting me to charm him, not just his buddy. I laughed sweetly.

"School? Why on earth would I go to school?" I asked, voice turning sour in a second. I could sense their discomfort, but I didn't have time to apologize.

"Are these two bothering you?" His silky voice asked, intoxicating me more with each syllable.

"Not at all," I smiled, standing up beside him. "I was trying to pass the time."

Everyone in the background seemed to disappear when I was with him. The only noise I cared enough to hear was the sound of his heart beating and mine as my heart pounded in my chest.

Wait, my heart was beating! I felt certain that something wasn't right...