‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

How To Welcome A Burden

And here I had thought Aiden’s hovering to be simply dreadful!

Zach and Aiden had a firm hold of both of my arms and were tugging me to the car whilst Celeste was walking behind us, giggling at the spectacle the two were making. I groaned involuntarily, hating the little amount of control I had.

“Careful, baby,” Aiden cooed softly in my ear, helping me sit in the middle seat of the back. He buckled me in as if I were a hopeless child.

“I’m fine,” I grumbled as he sat down by the window, pulling me to his side. Celeste hopped into the passenger seat and Zach got behind the wheel.

“Thanks to me,” he smirked, putting an arm around my shoulder. I sighed.

“You are impossible!” I told him, rolling my eyes.

“I’m quite aware.”

I was completely silent for the rest of the drive while Aiden was focusing on the passing scenery and Zach and Celeste had thrown themselves into a conversation about “The Good Old Days” and pointless ramblings that I didn’t much care to listen to. I preoccupied myself with staring intensely at my perfectly flat stomach.

It was amazing to think that two actual people—well, a variant of people—were actually growing inside of me. They depended on me and were at my mercy. I felt really needed and in charge for a second: Aiden had no say in how I took care of them since it was my body they were living off of. I smiled absentmindedly, discreetly placing one hand on my tummy and mouthing sweet nothings to them. I rested my head softly on Aiden’s shoulder when I had finished speaking with them and Aiden glanced over at me, a loving look in his eyes as he kissed my forehead before returning his gaze to the passing hills and trees.

We got back in around a half hour, which was considerably shorter than the eternity it had taken Aiden to sniff out his mother’s house with me being dragged behind him. My point is that the circumstances in the car were a lot nicer than our previous trek’s. Anyway, as soon as the car was in the driveway, Aiden lifted me into his arms and carried me to the door. Zach and Celeste lagged behind, so we went inside without them.

“I love you so much, honey,” Aiden whispered as he set me down beside him and placed his hands on my hips. I stepped closer to him.

“I know,” I mumbled, smiling against his lips as I kissed him. He laughed softly before pressing me tightly to him and deepening the kiss. I wrapped my arms around his neck to pull him closer.

What is that mutt doing here?

I jumped out of Aiden’s grasp and bit my lip. Joshua was standing before us, baring his teeth at the man he considered to be unwelcome company. Nicholas was standing behind his friend, questioning me silently, yet still ready to tackle Josh if he made any sudden movements.

“Gabby, care to explain?” Nikki asked quietly, his gaze flickering between Joshua and me.

“Zach said he could stay,” I told Nick. To Josh, I added, “And he’s not a mutt, you dickhead!”

“I highly doubt that!” Joshua snarled, stepping closer. Nick looked him over slightly, but stayed put.

“Oh yeah?” I challenged, stepping up to him.

“Gabby!” Aiden hissed, pushing me back behind him. “I’ll take care of this.”

“I’d like to see you try!”

“That’s what your sister said before I fucked her,” Aiden smirked, lying. I hoped. Josh’s eyes went wide before narrowing into slits.

“Don’t talk about my fucking sister!” he screeched.

And before I knew it, Aiden lunged at Josh just as Josh, too, lunged at Aiden. Nick bit his lip, glancing over at me, but I wasn’t looking.

I was watching them gouge each others' eyes out. I wasn’t worried until I saw the flash of two sets of fangs...