‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

My Son And His Knocked Up Girlfriend

I heard a scream and my blood ran cold. I felt my limbs freeze and I waited for one of them to stand up. I was only able to breathe again when Aiden was beside me again, wiping blood from his lips and holding me securely at his side. Josh stood up warily, staring wide eyed at Aiden.

“He...He bit me!” he accused, shaking his head as if he was baffled.

“Damn straight I did! You tried to bite me!” Aiden screamed back, glowering. Josh stumbled over his words, but Nick looked even more confused.

“Gabby, I don’t understand,” he admitted, staring at Aiden, his head cocked slightly.

“Of course you don’t, Nikki.”

We all turned to face Celeste, who was standing in the doorway with Zach. She was draped all over him and I had to turn away before I got sick.

“Celeste? I thought you and Zach split up since... Yeah.” Josh caught himself before saying any more and I wished he would have gone on.

“Oh, but I’m back, loves,” she sang, ruffling Aiden’s hair and then mine. I had to check the urge to snap at her. “I see you’ve met my son.”

“Your son?” Josh gaped, his confusion only growing.

“Yeah. Aiden’s my little guy. Imagine my surprise when he shows up on my doorstep with his knocked up girlfriend!”

Knocked up?” Josh and Nick both screamed at the same time, staring at me. I shrunk into myself, but Aiden just kissed my cheek softly, offering a small smile.

“Yeah,” I muttered, staring at my feet. “And you almost killed my baby’s daddy, Joshua!”

He raised his arms in surrender, but glanced over hopelessly at Nick, who returned the favor. I could feel Aiden’s eyes burning into me, but I just kept my eyes on my shocked friends.

“You fucked our little Gabby?” Josh gawked. “Oh, Marshall is going to murder you.”

“He can’t find out!” I shrieked, shaking my head furiously. “He can’t!”

“Don’t you think he’ll notice Celeste and Aiden living here? Not to mention that he’ll notice when you start getting fat!”

“We’ll be gone by then,” Aiden said quietly, butting into the conversation. I glanced over at him: we hadn’t exactly discussed that!

“I don’t remember that being part of the deal,” Zach hissed, growling at the boy who was the reason for our little predicament.

“I’m still working the bugs out, but you know we can’t stay. Marshall would probably push Gabby down a flight of stairs then put a knife in me when I’m sleeping! I can’t say that’s how I want to die.”

Before we could say anything more, I heard the back door slam shut. We all went quiet and Aiden went rigid.

“Gabby, go to your room,” Zach whispered, voice urgent. I nodded and headed for the stairs only to be swept off my feet by Aiden. He hugged me to his chest and darted into my room, locking the door behind us.

“You don’t think he’d really do that, do you?” I asked, trying to make my heart stop racing.

“Baby, I really don’t know,” he admitted, carrying me to the bed and sitting down. He put me on his lap and held me as close as he could.

“I’m scared.”

“I know.”

He didn’t say anything more and I sat in his arms, trembling. He didn’t even attempt to calm my nerves, but he went rigid suddenly and I found out why.

“Gabby?”

This is when we get on our knees and pray for our lives!