‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

May He Burn In Hell

“Yes, you are! Know why? Because I fucking love you and I would never hurt you like that!”

“Too bad you just did, huh?”

Aiden rose to his feet swiftly and I grabbed his hand, but he shoved me away. I stumbled back and he seemed to tense as though he was going to help me, but then he shook his head. How could he honestly not believe me?

“It’s yours, I swear!” I screamed, running up to him and catching his arm tightly, refusing to let go despite his efforts to get me off.

“I’m not so sure, Gabriella! How many guys have you fucked other than me? Answer that!” he yelled back at me, eyes boring into me. I wanted to break down and cry.

“None! What about ‘I was bluffing’ don’t you get?” I pulled him into my arms, but he shoved me away again. My back smacked into a wall. “Aiden, please!”

“Tell me when you find out who the real father is,” he spat at me, walking out the door and slamming it behind him as I stared in shock.

“It’s you,” I sobbed, sliding to the floor and pulling my knees to my chest. “It’s you!”

I was crying on the floor for a few minutes before the door creaked open softly. My eyes darted to the door, expecting to see Aiden. I was sorrowfully mistaken when I saw Celeste, Zach, Nicholas, and Joshua peering in instead. My head dropped immediately and I tried my best to ignore my intruders.

“Gabby, what happened?” Nick mumbled, suddenly right beside me with his arm slung casually around my shoulder.

“He just dumped me,” I mumbled, trying to stop my infernal crying. Nick pulled me into a hug and I immediately burst into tears, holding him tightly.

“Baby, I’m so sorry,” he whispered softly, holding me back. “He’s just a moron, an asshole. And he just walked out on the best three things to have ever happened to him.”

“He thinks they’re not his!” I shrieked, tearing myself from my friend and jumping to my feet to get as far away from them as I could. “He’s convinced that I’m a slut that slept around and got knocked up before I even met him!”

“I told you he was a no-good dick!” Zack told me, running a hand through his hair. “He’s just a faggot, Gabby. A lot of men are.”

“He was different, I thought,” I mumbled, falling to my knees and crying into my hands.

“Honey, I’ll go talk to him,” Celeste offered softly, her hand suddenly on my shoulder.

“No. Don’t. If he doesn’t want me, then I don’t want him. And I don’t want our kids to ever have to meet their bastard of a father. Let him go cry back to Daddy and tell him what a whore I am. Let him try to get over. But most of all, I dare him to try to ignore the fact that he’s the dad. He’ll never get rid of that thought completely and I hope it burdens him even as he burns in the scorching flames of Hell!” I screamed, immediately managing to stop my tears. “Because I know that Heaven would never let such a demon through their gates.”

“Gabby, do you want to go stay with Rosemarie tonight?” Zach asked softly, trying to steer the conversation away from Aiden. He obviously wanted me to only associate with vampires.

“No, I’ll call her. Can you all just leave?” I didn’t even bother to word my question more politely, and they all left. I called her up and she seemed almost surprised.

“Gabriella, I thought you liked pups more than leeches?”

“I guess I just came to my senses,” I shrugged though she wouldn’t see it.

“Well, I’m having a bit of a party, so of course you can head on over. Benji’s here and no doubt he’d love to see you.” There was a hint of seduction in her voice.

“Tell him I’m looking forward to it.”

Maybe I’ll be burning alongside Aiden, but I was going to be sure that I was going down swinging.