‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Old Crush Meet New Crush... Maybe

“What is this place?” I asked Jack softly, eyes wandering everywhere. Concealed in the forest was a civilization. Small houses surrounded us as Jack continued to lead me further in.

“This is where I live with others like me. There are a lot of us out there, Gabriella. In fact, you’d be surprised of how many. But most people don’t like us too much. They think we’re abominations.”

I nodded solemnly. I already knew that all too well as Jonathan was a classic case of that. I’ll admit that I did miss my sister and Zach... And despite how much I should have hated him, I missed Aiden too. I absentmindedly brought a hand to my tummy, thinking about my poor babies. They wouldn’t know their father: the most amazing man the world ever knew.

“So what’s your story?” I asked Jack suddenly.

“Well, I’ve lived here my entire life. My great grandparents started this small colony since my great grandmother was a werewolf and my great grand father was a vampire. Their families told them that if they refused to stop their love affair, then they would be disowned. So they left. Hybrids just caught the scent of this place and it smelled like home to them, so they just started flocking here until we eventually had a whole society. How about you? How did this happen for you?”

“Well, I wasn’t born like this,” I murmured quietly, still not entirely convinced that my words were true. “I was born to two werewolves, but then a vampire bit me. They couldn’t keep me, so Zach took me in like I was his own. I didn’t find out until recently what I was... And by then I had a met a nice hybrid, though at the time we thought we were a vampire-werewolf couple. He recently dumped me because his friend said I was sleeping around.” I shrugged. “But what are you going to do?”

“But you’re carrying his...” His voice trailed off while an apologetic look overtook his features. “Oh, I am so sorry.” He gave me a quick arm-over-the-shoulder hug. “That should never happen to anyone.”

I waved it off. “So would you mind terribly if I told you that you’re awfully cute?” I smirked as he turned beet red at the seduction that had accidentally slipped into my voice.

He stuttered before finally saying, “Maybe I could see if—Maybe you could stay with me. If you want, of course! I’m not suggesting anything like that, I swear!”

I chuckled lightly as we walked towards a modest home. He cleared his throat.

“I moved out of my parents’ home a few years back, and I live alone. Well, unless you want to live with me?”

Maybe I shouldn’t have been rushing into a relationship, but they say that you can’t get over an old crush until you have a new one...

I smiled softly. “If you’ll have me, that’d be great.” I laughed when he started stuttering again, probably taking my words the wrong way. “You’re such a teenage boy.”

“I’ll have you know that I’m nineteen!” A wry smirk tugged at his lips.

“Well then, I’m underage!” I chuckled lightly, leading him into his home.

“Oh, darn. I was hoping to get some,” he mumbled, leaving me as he walked down the hall. “Oh, the couch pulls outs into a bed, if it’s not inconvenient for you.”

“It’s fine,” I called, pulling the couch out.

After that long walk, I was beat. I collapsed on the makeshift bed the second I threw a blanket on it. I heard Jack call a wish for sweet dreams, but my thoughts were on other things as I stared at my stomach.

Had Aiden already forgotten me?

I turned on my side with a sigh. I knew the answer to that. He was probably flirting with Leann by now.

I had less than pleasant dreams.