‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

He Got What He Wanted And Left

Aiden’s P.O.V.
I approached the schoolyard with more than a little eagerness. I was anxious, yes, but I wanted to talk to her—no, I needed to talk to the maybe mother of my possible children.

Jonathan glared at me as I walked past him and his future wife, but I ignored him. I could have cared less about him as I had more important business.

Gabriella-Jasmine James...

Her name still managed to make my heart race and skip a few beats. She was so beautiful and perfect. I felt like a total ass for having dumped her without a second thought, but surely she would forgive me if she loved me half as much as I loved her.

Earlier in the morning I had attempted to speak with her at her home, but her window had been firmly shut. That had been a bit discouraging as it was surely a sign that she didn’t want me in her bedroom. But that hadn’t entirely worried me. I saw into her room, but her bed had been neatly made and she was nowhere to be seen. No one had been home at all, so it’s easy to imagine why I was nervous.

I came to her locker soon enough and couldn’t stop grinning. But where was she? She certainly wasn’t there. Benjamin was nowhere to be seen either, but they could have broken up. After all, I had seen him with his vampire friends.

I stood there like a moron for quite some time, and people had stared at me like there was no tomorrow. They were whispering gossip to each other, but I ignored it. I’m sure I heard the words, “Yeah, I heard he got what he wanted, then left.” I honestly couldn’t have cared less, but I was slowly getting more worried.

The bell rang and she was still nowhere. Had she moved away to escape me? My heart sank into my stomach, but I couldn’t assume anything yet. I darted to the nurse’s office to ask about my angel.

“Gabriella? No, she wasn’t here when I came back yesterday. I heard she wasn’t at close, so she obviously went home. Why? Is something wrong?”

I didn’t answer her—I couldn’t. My limbs had frozen. Something was horribly wrong, it had to be. An image shot through my vision: some teenage boy. Then I saw a trembling Gabby, holding her stomach. I didn’t know what was going on, but I had to find out.

I ran over to the window and groaned: I could still make out her faint scent. She had gone out the window and surely had run away. I waited for the nurse to leave before I made my leave. I wouldn’t be going back unless Gabby was coming back with me.

I had no idea how I was going to find her, but I had to. If something had happened to her... They would be planning four funerals that day.