‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

That Familiar Chill

Gabriella’s P.O.V
I shot awake in my makeshift bed and found breathing to be quite difficult. I brought my hand to my heart, trying to make it slow down a bit. The ceiling fan was spinning like mad and threatened to fall at any moment, but I felt a pair of eyes on me. I glanced anxiously over to see Jack staring at me.

“Can I help you?” Sarcasm unintentionally slipped into my voice. His gaze dropped.

“You looked like you were in pain,” he mumbled quietly, looking only at his feet. “I was worried.”

“In my sleep...” I sighed inwardly, shaking my head. “I’m fine. Just a little disoriented is all.”

“You sure.”

“Positive.”

It got him to leave at least, so I could think about the dream I’d just had.

“Mommy! Mommy!” a little girl called out, laughter in her voice. “Come look!”

“What is it?” I asked, smiling as my daughter grinned up at me, her brother at her side.

“We found something in the backyard...” the boy told me softly, a small smile on his lips.

“And what would this something be?” Jack asked, suddenly at my side.

“A little bunny!” they both chorused. My little girl suddenly shoved a rabbit in my face, grinning even wider.

“Isn’t he cute?” I mumbled, petting its head.

“We named it Aiden, mommy.”

There was a sudden chill at the mention of the name. I shoved the rabbit away, staring down at my son as he glared up at me with his father’s eyes. They were typically warm, yet now they looked as icy as a blizzard. I shook my head, backing away.

“It’s Aiden, mommy. Aiden,” they kept echoing, laughing at my desperation.

I backed into Jack, but I turned around and saw Aiden. And was laughing at me! I hissed, shoving him away as I ran out of the house. He could keep those possessed monsters!

“Gabby, baby, don’t you love me? Don’t you love me anymore?” he asked, suddenly right in front of me. I cried out as he pulled me into his arms.

All of a sudden I saw Zach and Marshall holding my kids as they screamed and wailed. I immediately felt awful for having left them at Aiden’s mercy.

“Let them go!”

“Whore,” Marshall and Zach taunted, laughing as they bit down on my babies’ throats. I screamed as they fell to the earth, limp.

“Aiden! Let me go!”

“Why? They’re not mine,” he whispered in my ear.

There was a burning sensation as Aiden’s fangs sank into my neck. I didn’t fight it, but I couldn’t help but scream and writhe in his arms.

“I’ll see you and your children in Hell,” he spat in my face, tossing me carelessly aside.

I reached after him as he left me bleeding in the grass, but I couldn’t catch him with my shaky hands. Unconsciousness took over and I lost feeling of everything. I tried to breathe again, but that caused a sharp pain in my lungs and I left out a final jagged scream. The last thing I was aware of was my own shriek echoing around me...


I bit back another shriek as the memory finally left. I hugged my knees to my chest, trying to keep myself from falling apart. The sun was shining in through the clear window and the sky was a perfect blue.

But inside my soul it was the darkest it had ever been. Without my own ray of sunshine, Aiden, would I eventually wither to nothing?

There was a quick pain in my stomach, which had to be my children reminding me that they existed.

I sighed as I tossed the blanket off of me, not able to close my eyes and resume my nap. There was a sudden chill that traveled up my spine, though I didn’t know why.

It was the same chill that I had gotten when I had climbed out the window back at the school; the same chill that I had gotten when I had finally decided that I wouldn’t be going back there ever again; the same chill I had gotten when I had realized that I was leaving my family behind me.

But more than anything it was the same chill that I had gotten when I had left my true love behind, knowing that I would never see his brilliant smile ever again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, I'm sorry that I haven't updated in forever. The internet has been down. Other than that, I just haven't been in the mood to write, though I love it with all of my heart. This feeling is simply dreadful, I can assure you, but please bear with me. I'm updating this story twice to make up for the lack of updates =]