‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

It Takes Two To Tango

I could just barely make out the gist of what the two were saying, but I knew that it was in no way a pleasant conversation. Marshall’s face was all twisted up in rage and fury while Jack had a very stern look on his face yet he looked utterly bored at the same time.

“Just get out of my way and give her to me!” Marshall screamed so loud that I could hear him from my hiding spot.

I think Jack then asked what he was talking about. Marshall screamed my name, of course, and I could see—with my hybrid eyesight, which was much better than my hearing (the years of blasting music had taken their toll)—a slight sense of uneasiness creep onto Jack’s feature. But Marshall was so busy being, well, Marshall that I doubted if he cared to notice.

I had to check the urge to storm up to Marshall and strangle him when he shoved Jack, light enough that he didn’t fall over but hard enough to constitute as a warning. Jack pushed him back, hurling profanity at him and eventually punching him square in the jaw.

And it just got worse. Marshall had never been good at keeping his emotions in check, and soon he was beating the living daylights out of my new friend. I couldn’t watch any longer, and before I could even think I was running to Marshall, tugging at his arm and begging him to leave him alone.

“What kind of stunt were you trying to pull, bitch?” Marshall hissed in my face, seizing my upper arm roughly. “I heard about you and your boyfriend breaking up, so I came to comfort you.” There was a smirk on his face. “But first we need to get rid of those bothersome pests in your stomach, don’t we?”

I immediately jerked my arm from him, glaring at him and ignoring the protesting Jack. He wouldn’t shut up, though, so I shoved him away, hoping he’d get the hint.

He was a smart boy, I realized, when he hesitantly started heading for the safety of his forest. He wasn't so smart, however, since he refused to retreat fully.

“No! I may not have Aiden anymore, but I still have them! You’re not taking them from me,” I spat in his face, laughing at his shock.

“Someone grew a pair, didn’t she?” He had a wry smirk on his lips.

“I should certainly hope not!” I laughed.

This was a dangerous game to be playing—a very dangerous game. We weren’t joking around. No, we were trying to taunt each other into getting careless to make the physical fight more interesting.

When vampires fight and really want to hurt each other they use both body and mind. Sometimes it’s just mind, and sometimes it’s just body. But when the two come together is when it gets serious. Only one of us would be walking away. And, though I knew I would be the one to die, I was enjoying myself. Marshall was getting riled as I was getting pissed off, but that wasn’t anything new since I was hormonal already.

“Jack, get lost,” I hissed at the boy hiding behind a tree, turning my back to Marshall to get him even angrier. I nearly laughed when I heard him snarl.

“No!”

“Go!” I shrieked, glaring death at him. He swallowed hard before turning and running the way he came. “He’s a nice kid,” I told Marshall, turning to face him at my leisure.

“I can’t say I care. Shall we dance?”

“I get to lead,” I smirked.

“I’d like to see you try.”

I welcomed the threat in his voice with a laugh.

With a raised eyebrow, I told him, “Just try to keep up.”

Yeah, I truly was going to die!