‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Homecoming

I gripped Aiden's hand tighter and tighter with each step we took, aware that I was flagrantly disregarding Zach--the man who had saved me from certain death! Was that not a sin? And yet I felt almost calmed by Aiden's warmth. Well, his cold warmth. I can't explain it really, but it was like he was cold, yet so cold it almost burned. Or maybe so warm it felt cold. Even though that makes no sense probably, I followed Aiden where he was taking me.

"Just a little further," he promised, trying to coax me.

I could only nod to him as my eyes darted everywhere, afraid Zach would appear before me and steal me away. Anyway, I didn't know what to expect exactly when we got to his town or whatever, but I trusted him fully. And that is saying something considering I'd just met the guy. But I felt like I already knew him so well; like we were meant for each other. I don't know. It's just a gut feeling, you know?

So after what seemed like an eternity of walking (I hate walking: it’s too slow), we finally came upon a clearing. I looked at him to ask if that was it and he nodded, smiling and squeezing my hand reassuringly. I took a deep breath. If Zach found out about this I was so dead! But I continued with Aiden anyway.

When we walked in I could feel everyone, within a mile radius, freeze. Hundreds of eyes darted over to me and I shrunk into myself. Aiden grabbed my wrist and pulled me further into the town.

"I don’t think this is a good idea!” I cried, trying to free myself in a fit of panic. I could see the fear and hate in their eyes. What had I done?

“Please stop!” he begged, refusing to let go. “Don’t go!”

“They don’t want me here,” I cried out, voice cracking. I tried to free myself from him, but he wouldn’t budge.

“I want you here, though,” he whispered in my ear, holding me close.

He took a step forward, making me go with him. Everyone—but one girl—backed away. She stared at me, as if confused. At least she wasn’t afraid of me.

But then she stepped back and my heart broke in half. But I soon found out why she had stepped back.

“Gabriella!” Marshall screamed at me, a low growl in his voice. “What do you think you are doing?!”

I froze and beside me I felt Aiden go rigid. He slid my hand into his and we turned to face my brother and his angry friend.

"Back off," Aiden growled, glowering at them. He sounded confident, but his hand was shaking as I held it.

Marshall and Zach ignored him.

"Gabby, what are you doing with these werewolves?" Zach demanded, stepping closer. Everyone stepped back, including myself.

"Werewolves?" I stared at Aiden who looked at me calmly. "You're a werewolf!"

"I thought you knew! You're one too, aren't you?" he asked, beastly eyes burning into my soul. Still, I didn't resent him and he didn't smell vile, so how could he be a mutt?

"I'm a vampire!"

"I don't believe that!" he yelled, holding my hand even tighter.

I stared at Zach, but as soon as I made eye contact with my brother, I was ripped from Aiden. I cried out as Marshall dragged me away. I watched Aiden as I was pulled away from him. I wanted to cry and Aiden's eyes were full of hurt.

Despite my depression, I was smart enough to know to be scared. When I got home, I was so dead!