‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Pity my Heart

"What were you thinking?!" Joshua screamed as I sat on the couch between Zach and Marshall.

"I don't know. I didn't know he was a wolf!" I was damn near close to tears. They were so mad at me. Marshall, for instance, had a hold of my arm and probably wouldn't let go for anything.

"Marshall," Zach sighed. "Take her to her bedroom. Make sure the mutt doesn't show up."

"I can sleep by myself!" I growled. But fighting him for dominance was a stupid idea. He snarled at me and I shrunk against Marshall. "I'm going," I whispered softly, getting up. Marshall followed me to my room.

"You really scared him, Gabby," he told me, closing the door softly behind him.

"I didn't mean to," I muttered, falling back onto my bed. "Aiden didn't smell like a werewolf...until I actually focused. He's just..."

"He's just what?!" Marshall barked. I sighed.

"Nothing. He's just nothing. Happy?"

"No, I'm not! Gabriella, come on! I'm better for you than some filthy mutt!" He grabbed my arm roughly and pulled me into a way too tight hold. "Zach knows. He's happy about it! Gabriella, you know how I feel. I've felt this way for so long. But now you're sixteen! I've waited so long for this! Zach told me I can have you now! We can make love, Gabby. It'll be perfect. I love you."

"Marshall, just stop this, ok?" I pulled myself away to look at him. "You're my brother's friend. I don't want to steal you from him." He just pulled me back to him.

"You stole me the first time I saw you! You were the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. I was the second person to hold you when Zach brought you home. I fell in love with you. That may sound a bit strange, but you've only gotten more gorgeous throughout the years. I promised I wouldn't do anything with you until you turned sixteen. And now you are. Gabby..."

"Marshall, no! I'm not a whore like most vampires, ok? I'm like any of you! I'm not fucking normal!" I started crying and he tensed. "Aiden made me feel like I actually belonged! He made me feel like I fit in perfectly. I feel like an outcast when I'm with anyone but him!"

Marshall stared at me for a bit before he tore himself from me and left me alone to my thoughts. He slammed the door behind him. I sat back down on my bed.

Gabby...

I whipped my head around. My window was shut. I jumped up and opened it quickly. Leaning out I saw Aiden standing on the ground below, grinning. He scaled up the wall and I pulled him inside.

"Did you mean what you said? I heard every word. Do you feel that way?" He looked eager. "Because we need to talk."