‹ Prequel: Pup Among the Big Dogs

Chasing the Moon

Pebble-throwing is Overrated

"So you heard everything, huh?" I asked quietly, locking my door.

"Yeah, I did," he admitted, looking curiously around my room. He sat down silently on my bed, eyes now focused on me as I walked up to him.

"Why did you come anyway? I don't want you here," I mumbled, standing in front of him as he stared up at me.

"Oh? Then why did you let me in?"

I pursed my lips. Vampires are good liars, so why did I suck at it?

"Yeah, well, what do you want? You want to get me in more trouble, don't you?" I barked.

"Gabby..." Aiden gazed into my eyes and I tried to hold on to my anger. "I didn't mean to get you in any trouble, I swear. I wouldn't do that to you on purpose."

"But you'd lie to me? That's even worse! Why didn't you tell me what you are: a werewolf?!"

"I didn't know you're a bloodsucker, and I'm still not convinced of that claim!"

"Then what am I?" I begged, wanting to know the answer so bad.

"I don't know," he admitted slowly. "But you're no vampire, I know. I want to help you find out, Gabriella. I want to help you."

"But why would you want to help me? We don't even know each other!" I was close to tears from my frustration.

"I know that--God do I know that! But--" he stood up and took my hands into his "--I want to know you. I'm sure you feel the same. Please, just give me a chance. One little chance. Please! I'm begging you."

I gathered my breaths until they were finally even and under control.

"They won't let me see you. Zach's pissed at me. And Marshall..."

"I know too well about that son of a bitch Marshall," Aiden growled. "Look, I go to school during the week, with other kids. Most of them are humans, but I have some friends that go there, too. You'd like it, I swear. Tell your brother you want to go to school. That's innocent enough, right? There's even some vampires there. You'll fit right in, I promise. Please?"

He had the biggest puppy-dog eyes I had ever seen.

"I'll see what I can do," I told him with a small smile. I like the sound of making my own friends, not sharing them with my brother.

"Thank you." He smiled, but then his eyes darted and he tore himself from me. "Someone's coming. I have to do."

I watched as he jumped out of my window and landed gracefully on his feet two stories below before dashing away from my house. The doorknob rattled and Nicholas busted in.

"Hi, Nicky." I smiled like an angel sitting on my bed. "Can we talk?"

Oh, being a little angel is overrated. It was time to take advantage of the kind-hearted soul standing before me.

I'm innocent alright.