Warning

Chapter 11

Billie Joe leaned up against the counter as his beer rested in his fingers. "What do you think?" He stared at the floor and waited for the response.

"I... aw man, I don't really know what to think." Tre sat at the kitchen table and rubbed his face with his hands. "I never imagined Adrienne living a life like that. Never. Not even when I saw her at the school did she act like something was wrong. She acted as though everything were perfect. This doesn't make sense. Have you talked to her?"

Billie Joe shook his head. "No. Every time I pick up the phone to call her, I can't bring myself to so I end up just hanging up. So..." He trailed off and continued to stare at the floor.

"Horse shit Billie Joe. Since when did you get like this? What the fuck? Did you lose your balls in settlement to your ex-fiancees? Call her. Call her now. Her kids need you Billie. She needs you and you know it. You still love that girl and I don't think you ever stopped. I remember you after the wreck. I remember you wanting Adrienne more than anything but refused to let any of us get her for you. You know what," Tre looked Billie squarely in the eyes, "I don't think you deserve her."

Billie Joe broke his gaze with Tre and stared back at the floor. "I don't." He said softly. "But she doesn't deserve that."

Tre's eyes got wide and then his eyebrows furrowed in the middle. "Then what are we talking about then?"

With a new resolve forming in the pit of his gut, Billie Joe looked up. "I'm gonna call her."

"Ingenious." Tre snapped as he finished off his beer.

Billie Joe called her number, a tune popping into his head as he did. "Now I wonder how whatsername has been... Hey, Adrienne. How are you?" He turned from Tre so he could have a bit of privacy. "Is he around? Are you sure? Where are the kids? Okay, I'll be there in a few. Bye."

"Well?" Tre questioned when Billie Joe got off the phone.

"I'm going to Adie's. Thanks Tre." Billie Joe grabbed his jacket and made his way to the door.

"No problem. Call me you dumbshit."

"You dumbshit." With that, Billie Joe left Tre's.

------------*------------

Adrienne straightened her shirt and smoothed out her hair. Billie Joe would be here at any minute. David was once again gone on business in Oklahoma and wasn't expected back until the day before Christmas.

Her heart fluttered in her chest as her hands shook slightly as she lit a candle to ward away any unpleasant smells the house may induce. "It's only Billie." She told herself. Adrienne quickly flipped though the channels on the television before simply cutting it off. "Stop acting so ridiculous."

The doorbell rang and Adrienne's heart felt as if it lodged itself in her throat. "It's only Billie." She chanted to herself as she made her way to the door. "It's only Billie." She opened the door to find Billie Joe standing on her stoop, his green eyes meeting her brown.

"Hey." He greeted her as he refused to break contact with her.

"Hey." She was surprised to find how soft and nervous her voice sounded in the cool night air. "Come in. Can I get you anything."

Billie Joe shook his head. "No." He took her hand and rubbed his thumb on her palm. "How are you?" He asked her, his eyes meeting hers again. "Don't lie."

Adrienne's breath caught in her throat as their hands became intertwined, without either of them fully initiating the motion. "I'm...."

When did he get so close?

"I'm...."

She could see the faint traces of childhood freckles on his cheeks and stubble on his chin.

Adrienne shook her head. "I'm fi...." She looked at his lips. Full and soft, just like they had always been. She missed those lips. Throwing any caution she still clung to out the window, she met his lips with her own.

"I was awful." She gasped when they broke. She kissed him again. "I put up with years of abuse and neglect because I was too afraid to admit how much I loved you. And I was too afraid to run away."

He kissed the side of her neck as she continued.

"All I ever wanted was you. I wanted to be with you and have your kids and I didn't care if we lived in a cardboard box. I, oh...." Billie Joe had softly bitten her collarbone.

"The kids are at my mom's and David's gone." She kissed his ear. "And you're here. I'm perfect now. Billie...." He kissed her hard on the lips and pressed up against her. She could feel him wanting her, needing her.

She held his cheeks in her palms when they broke. When he spoke, his voice was low and husky. "Tell me what you want me to do Adie. I'll leave if you want me to."

Adrienne furiously shook her head. "No, no."

Billie's hands played with the flesh of her hips underneath her shirt. "And I'll stay if you want me to, but I swear I won't be a perfect gentleman."

"You never were." Their lips met again as Adrienne began to back up and lead Billie Joe to her downstairs bedroom. Her back hit a wall and Billie Joe took the opportunity to grab her and lift her up, her legs intertwining behind him.

She could feel him more now and her reserve was gone as they kissed passionately. Her body ached for his. "Billie..." She moaned as he took a ragged breath and tore her button down off her, buttons popping everywhere, and kissed the plane of her chest and downward.

Adrienne massaged the tensing muscles of his shoulders with her small hands as he kissed her emotionally. Her breathes were coming in short spurts and gasps. "Billie," She moaned again before their lips met in a furious battle. "Please..."

With an almost animal-like growl in his throat, Billie tore them off the wall and together as one, they stumbled into the bedroom.