Warning

Chapter 12

Billie Joe cradled Adrienne in the afterglow of their lovemaking and kissed the top of her head. She was napping lightly next to him. He sighed happily and began to sing a soft tune that had popped into his head while he was asleep.

"She's an extraordinary girl. In an ordinary world and she can't seem to get away. He lacks the courage in him mind like a child left behind. Like a pet left in the rain. She's all alone again, wipe the tears from her eyes. Some days he feels like dying. She gets so sick of crying."

Adrienne began to stir in his arms and her dark eyes opened. Billie Joe grinned at her. "I've missed you so much." The sun was trying to rise through the thick snow clouds outside as a gentle sleet fell on the windows.

"Me too." Adrienne rolled over so she was half on his chest, their legs tangled together underneath the sheets. She kissed his bare chest and softly traced a tattoo on his shoulder. "I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to." Billie's fingers paid homage in her long, dark tresses. "David could come in and kill me now and I'd die a happy man."

"I'd die with you." Adrienne kissed him again. "But you promised Joey you'd come home for Christmas and your plane leaves tonight."

"I know." Billie Joe almost seemed to be pouting at the thought. He rolled on top of her. "That's what makes this so difficult," he paused as they laid there together in an intimate way they haven't been like in years, he nuzzled her neck with his lips in the quiet.

"Come with me," Billie Joe murmured into her ear as he began to stroke her stomach with his fingers. "Come with me to California and meet my son. Bring Katrina and Jakob. They can go swimming and Katrina can get a tan and brag about it when she gets back and how she met Gwen Stafani." He nuzzled her neck more. "You know you want to. Come with me." His fingers dipped lower.

"I want to." She breathed airily as she took in her breath sharply. "But I can't... I can't."

"Don't start that. Yes you can." Billie Joe kissed her chest. He could hear her quickened heartbeat.

"No, not now. I can't do that to the kids. They're so delicate right now. I can't just... oh... I can't just pop that on them like this. They need time to adjust and think about it." She gripped the headboard with her hands.

"New Years." Billie Joe swirled his tongue in her belly button. "Come out on New Years."

"I don't know," Adrienne's voice was barely louder than a whisper.

"Yes you do."

"No I don't."
Billie Joe kissed her lower abdomen on his downward trek. "Yes you do."

"No I....."

***

"Jakob! Get your coat or we'll be late for Grandma's!" Adrienne shouted as she picked up a final piece of Christmas wrapping paper off the floor. It was Christmas evening and it was just Adrienne and her kids in the house. David had not come home yet.

"Coming!" Jakob's small voice floated from upstairs.

"Mom, how do I look?" Katrina stood in front of Adrienne and spun around in her new clothes.

"Beautiful, as always. Santa knew just what to get you." Adrienne tugged on the sequined scarf and kissed her daughter's cheek.

Katrina rolled her eyes. "I'm sure he did. And I love this necklace." She held out a silver puffy heart lock charm on a silver necklace. "I can't believe Billie Joe got this for me."

"He didn't just get it for you sweetie, he got it made for you. He knew a guy in California who made jewelry and who owed him a favor and Billie Joe designed it himself for you, just like he did for me." Adrienne held out the heart charm with crossbones sticking out from behind it. "He was so proud of himself too."

"Is that all he gave you?" Katrina asked her mom innocently.

Adrienne paused. The memory of her and Billie Joe making love flashed before her. "No."

"Really? What else?"

Adrienne pretended that she just didn't hear her. "Jakob! Come on! I'm going to warm up the car, go get your brother." Adrienne passed by Katrina who went up the stairs and opened the front door to find David.

"David, what are you doing here? I thought you wouldn't be back until tomorrow." Adrienne stepped aside so David could come in, casually pushing her necklace underneath the collar of her shirt.

"I caught a different flight. Where are the kids?" He set his bags down and walked into the house.

"Getting ready to go to my mom's for dinner. We were just about to leave. If you
hurry," She started carefully, "You could get cleaned up and changed and come with us, so we won't have to take two cars."

David nodded. "Okay. Just wait a minute for me." David kissed Adrienne on the cheek and started towards the bedroom that held only one happy memory for his wife. "Adrienne?" He stooped down and picked something up off the floor. "Missing a button?" He held out a button that went to one of her shirts.

"Oh, um." The flash of Billie Joe ripping her button down burned in her memory. "Yeah. I pulled it the other day on the way to work and I couldn't find it. Thank you. I can get it sewn back on now. Thanks." She took the button and, without looking at him, placed it on the side table as he went into the bedroom to change without any extra questions.

"Okay, he's ready." Katrina, followed by Jakob, came down the stairs, but both stopped upon seeing the bags in the living room. The both look at Adrienne who nodded her head and crossed over to them.

"Yes, but he seems to be in a good mood so let's just make it through this. It's okay." She cupped Jakob's drooping chin. "We're going to Grandma's and it's going to be..."

"You fucking slut!"

David shot out of the bedroom and stormed towards the trio. He shoved Jakob out of the way and threw Adrienne against the wall, to get to Katrina, who was gripped at the throat by his large hands.

"You damn whore. Did you think I wouldn't find out? Tramps like you get STDs, get ugly, and die. That's what you get and that's what you deserve you little bitch I should kill you myself. How many different shits do you go through a night?"

"David, what are you doing? Leave her alone! What are you talking about?" Adrienne was futilely trying to pry his hands away from Katrina's throat, who was sputtering and crying.

"There are two condoms missing in my room and she and her little boy fucks used them. Stop crying whore!" He slapped her hard across the face.

Adrienne shoved David as hard as she could. "Leave her alone!" She managed to shove him away from her daughter, who fell into a heap on the floor, quivering and crying.

"What the hell Adrienne? Be a good mother for once and tell the slut what she really is!" David's face was a livid red and veins were popping out of his temple and neck.

"I did it," Adrienne hissed, her voice steely calm.

"What?" David took several predatory steps towards her. "Say that one more time."

"I did it. I had an affair behind your back in that room and we only used two but we did it five." Her breathing was becoming shallow. More sensing it than seeing it, she sensed Katrina grab Jakob and slip out the back door.

David was coming closer and Adrienne's heart pounded in her ears. Still feeling the red hot kisses and touches of Billie Joe all over her body, she prepared herself for the worst.

"Fucking bitch." David punched Adrienne in the face.