Warning

Chapter 17

"So what are you gonna do?" Billie Joe looked at Adrienne intensely as they sat on the plane that would take them back to Minneapolis.

Joey was playing a game on Billie Joe's computer and Katrina was listening to her iPod on either side of the couple.

Adrienne shrugged. "I'm definitely taking the kids to my parents and we'll stay there for a little while because your apartment is only a one bedroom and not really suited to house a family. Sorry." She gave him a sweet little look. "But you can visit."

"Yeah," Billie Joe's voice was soft and reminded Adrienne of a more boyish Billie Joe, "But I can fuck you there because your Dad would kill me."

Adrienne said nothing but grinned kissed his temple. "I'm filing for divorce tomorrow for sure. I'm not going to back down and go back to that life again. I won't do it." She shook her head and sighed. "I hate plane rides."

Billie Joe just nodded. "We still need to have our talk."

Adrienne just nodded.

-----------*------------

"Okay! If nobody wants anymore of this pie, I'm putting it up and it's not coming back out until it ruins and goes in the trash! Last call!" Brenda Nesser, Adrienne's mother, shouted over her shoulder as she wrapped up a half eaten pie to put back in the refrigerator.

"We're good!" Adrienne shouted from the couch as she curled up next to Billie Joe and he put an arm around her.

"Good! You better be because nobody needs anymore of this! Especially you John now go away!" Brenda swatted her husband, John, out of the kitchen and into the living room where his daughter was comfortably sitting with her boyfriend.

"Well babygirl, what's your plan of action?" John said as he eased himself into his recliner.

"Well, just to get a divorce and probably a restraining order and go from there." Adrienne shrugged. "After, that. . . I guess live happily ever after."

John grunted. "With him?"

Adrienne stuck her chin out. "Yeah."

John stared straight through Billie Joe. Billie Joe, feeling the heat of Adrienne's father glare, slowly eased his hand off of Adrienne's leg, where it had been making homage.

"And what makes you think," John directed towards Billie Joe, "That you are worthy of my daughter?"

"Um," Billie Joe was at a loss of the sequence of events.

"Dad!" Adrienne burst as she stared with an unbelievable expression at her father.

"No, no Adrienne. He needs to answer and sure as hell is taking a long time.

"What's the answer son?" He stared, if possible, harder at Billie Joe as he waited for the answer.

"Uh, I don't think I'm worthy." Billie Joe answered truthfully. "Adie's a great girl, uh, woman, and she could probably do a lot better than a loser like me, but I love her and that's all I know to do." Billie Joe shrugged, not really knowing how to describe his love for Adrienne to her father on the spot like that, being stared at as if here were a lowly worker ant.

"Uh huh." John simply nodded and grunted as he turned his attention to the football game that was on the television.

"I think it's about time for me to head off." Billie Joe said as he got up and extended a hand for Adrienne. "Thanks John, Brenda. Goodnight." He received a cheerful goodbye from Brenda and another grunt from John as he and Adrienne headed to the door.

"I wish you wouldn't." Adrienne shivered as they stood out in the cold.

"I know." Billie Joe's sigh was a puff of icy breath, "But I need to get back. I have work in the morning and so do you. Plus, I really couldn't take your dad's stares anymore."

Adrienne smiled and shook her head. "Don't listen to him. He's just being overprotective of his little girl after everything that has happened."

"I'm not. I know he's doing it because he loves you, but I still don't want to hear it right now. I'll call you later." He kissed Adrienne and chaffed her arms with his hands. "Look, don't make plans for tomorrow night. I got a surprise for you. Plus we need to have our talk so get ready and make sure there won't be any interruptions on your part."

"Okay," Adrienne gave him a curious look.

Billie Joe kissed the top of her head. "I love you. Now, go inside before you freeze."

"Aye, aye captain!" Adrienne mock saluted him and turned to the door and received a sound whap on the behind from Billie Joe. "I love you too by the way!"

------------*------------

"Oh, I know," Billie Joe agreed as he pulled out two wine glasses. "It's shit. I don't even read it now. I can't stand it." He rubbed them with a rag to take away any spots. "Mike, we all know Warning is going solely on reputation right now and that rep is fading. Yeah, I got plans for when it goes under. I'm buying that bitch, renaming it and putting it right. Bet I won't."

He placed the glasses down on a well spread table. "I'm not saying anymore on the subject. No, stop trying to make me Mike, I won't do it. There are ears everywhere and you know that. But, I will say this, Wes is about to be blacklisted and exiled from the very ones who crowned him. His balls are on my chopping block and I have the cleaver." Billie Joe whipped the rag on the counter.

"No, I am not being over-dramatic," The doorbell rang. "Shit, that's Adie. I'll call you later Mike. Later." Billie Joe shut his phone, threw it on the couch, and shoved the take out boxes in the garbage.

The doorbell rang again.

"Coming!" Billie Joe's eyes swept over the apartment that, for the first time, looked nice and liveable. There was not a moving box to be seen anywhere. He turned the lock and unchained the other one before he opened the door.

"Damn," he breathed when he saw Adrienne standing there in a lovely little black dress, her long black overcoat protecting her from the cold. Her hair was twisted and curled around her face and her cheeks were blushed pink from the cool air. "You look beautiful," he confessed honestly as he invited her in.

"Thank you." Adrienne shrugged out of her coat, that Billie Joe helped her with taking off. "Oh, Billie. This is wonderful." Her eyes swept over the candle lit room and lovely table spread in the middle. "You really shouldn't have gone to so much trouble.

Billie Joe shrugged, grinned sheepishly and nervously scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, well, I just wanted it to be perfect for you." He led her over to the table and pulled out her chair for her. He uncorked the chilled red wine and poured her a glass before pouring one for himself. When he sat down, Adrienne had her glass raised in toast position.

"To a new beginning," she said as she smiled at him.

"To a new beginning," he murmured softly as their glasses clinked elegantly together.

After the dinner was eaten and more wine had been drunk, the two of them laid wrapped together in Billie Joe's bed. His hands were playing with the skin on her belly as he kissed the back of her head tenderly. "I love you so much." He whispered to her as her hand wrapped around his own at her stomach.

"I had forgotten what it felt like to feel that," Adrienne said as she turned around in his arms so she could face him. "I had forgotten that I could feel like a queen and to have someone love and worship me . . . and protect me." She kissed his lips. "You have no idea how much I love you Billie Joe. No idea. I filed for divorce today."

"Did you really?" Billie Joe met her eyes as she nodded. "So, soon you're gonna be all mine, right?"

"I was all ready all yours, you just didn't realize it."

------------*------------

"Okay," Two beer tops were popped. "On a more real and serious note, we have to talk." Billie Joe set one beer down next to Adrienne where she was sitting on the counter later that night as he held the other after taking a healthy swig of it.

Adrienne took the cold bottle and took a small sip of it. She sat on the counter dressed simply in underwear and one of Billie Joe's shirts. "All right. Let's talk."

"Okay." Billie Joe leaned up against the counter opposite of her. "What happened when I left?"

"Well," Adrienne started slowly. "We had fought and I was so mad at you I hated you. I had tried to tell you something important but you wouldn't listen. You just kept on about Green Day and making a new album and all that and I didn't care. I had something I had to tell you before it was too late and when I said I didn't care, you got upset. We fought and you left. I was really upset and David was there. You knew David and I were together before you and I were and we had broken up because he was abusive but he claimed to have changed and in that moment of weakness, I believed him. And for a time after that, it seemed to be true. He was the perfect gentleman, the original guy I fell in love with. That's why I married him. I wanted to get back at you and in the end all I did was hurt myself because the honeymoon was over within a month. I was so, so stupid and I'm so sorry." Adrienne set the beer down and buried her head in her hands, sobs coming around it.

Automatically, Billie Joe went to her and wrapped his arms around her. "Shhhh," He whispered into her dark hair. "It's okay. We fixed it. It's okay baby." He kissed her temple and rocked back and forth with her as she sat on the counter and he stood in front of her.

"No, no," Adrienne said around her sobs. She looked up to face Billie Joe, her mascara causing black rivers down her light skin. "There's more."

Billie Joe's heart tightened, he wasn't sure what to expect. "Okay, what is it?"

A tiny laugh came from deep within Adrienne's throat. "Don't you want to know what I was going to tell you?"

"What?" Fear was beginning to prickle down his spine.

"I promised you that I was never unfaithful to you when we were together." Adrienne whispered to him as the light above the sink flickered. "And I didn't lie. I was pregnant...but the baby wasn't David's. . . . . .it was yours. Katrina is your daughter, not David's."