Warning

Chapter 5

"Who is this?" David shoved Adrienne out of the bed where she had been sleeping peacefully.

"What?" Adrienne wiped her eyes, confused at his behavior.

David pressed a few buttons on her cell phone until her voicemail was on speaker phone.

"Hey, Adrienne. It's Billie Joe. Uh,... call me when you get this or whatever you know."

"Who the Hell is this? You're fucking him aren't you?" He threw her phone at her and it hit Adrienne on the leg.

She gasped and held the now red area of her thigh. "No. He's an old friend I saw today and we talked over lunch and that's all." She backed up into a corner of the room as David advanced on her.

"That's all." He mocked her as he grabbed her and threw her on the bed. "You little whore." He slapped her across the face with the back of his hand. He grabbed her hands so she couldn't protect her face as he kneeled on top of her, his weight crushing down upon her.

"David, get off of me." Adrienne hissed as she struggled. Hot tears had welled up in her eyes and she could only pray that the children were in too deep of a sleep to hear what was going on.

"Why? Not in the mood?" David ripped her sleep shorts off and used her discarded shirt to tie her hands up above her head on the headboard. When she began to struggle, David slapped her hard or squeezed her until she bruised.

"I'm gonna get mine one way or the other." He hissed vindictively into Adrienne's ears as they heard little footsteps in the hall.

Jakob was awake.

"Go back to bed you little shit " David yelled at the closed door and smothered Adrienne with a pillow so she could not give any other instructions to Jakob.

Adrienne's nose was flattened from the pillow and her breathing was suppressed. She shook her head in desperation to get air but without avail. She couldn't hear Jakob or David, all she could hear was her own quickened heartbeat pounding in her ears.

------------*------------

"Adie." Billie Joe jumped off the back of the bench he had been sitting on and followed a quickly walking Adrienne. "What's up?"

"Not much Billie Joe." Adrienne mumbled to the ground as she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Billie Joe took her arm to slow her down. His green eyes were filled with a concern Adrienne had not seen from anyone in a long time.

Adrienne forced a smile on the busy sidewalk. She had to appear as if things were going all right. "Nothing. Just a little out of it. That's all." They settled into an easy pace down the street. "How about you?"

Billie Joe shrugged. He noticed a slight swell to her lip, but he didn't press the topic. "Same, I guess. I didn't mean to call you at three in the morning. I didn't realize it was that late. I'm sorry."

Adrienne laughed uneasily as the scene from the previous night caused by his phone call raged in her mind. "No. It's okay." Adrienne didn't elaborate on her statement as she and Billie Joe settled into a comfortable silence.

"This is where you teach?" Billie Joe asked as they made their way onto a community college campus.

"Yep. I have an eight o'clock Honors Sociology class. You're more than welcome to join us." Adrienne told him before she realized what words had escaped her mouth.

"Yeah. I'd like that." Billie Joe sniffed in the cold air and wrapped his arms around his body. "Still too fucking cold for me."

------------*------------

"Okay, so in the Conflict Theory of Max and Weber, what do you think?" Adrienne sat behind her podium as she held her cup of coffee. Her Honors Sociology class was more of a round table discussion on world events and views instead of a course with regular course work.

Billie Joe sat in a back corner and listened to some points of view. He desperately had his own, but he didn't know if he was welcome in the discussion or not.

As Adrienne listened to a student express her opinion, she glanced at Billie Joe and raised her eyebrows and nodded her head in silent will for him to join in. She knew he had an opinion and was anxious to hear it.

"Uh," Billie Joe started to gain some attention from the class. "My opinion is that our society is nothing but conflict. There is no structure as society has a breakdown once something horribly tragic happens. We are a Prozac nation. The government is putting band-aids on the problems and expecting that to be okay."

"Okay." Adrienne got up and wrote the phrase 'Prozac Nation' on the board. "That's good. Why do you think that?"

Billie Joe thought for a moment to get his thoughts in order. "We live in a safety net society. We have safety homes, communities, shit sites, whatever you want now, but they're not all that safe in their effects. We have kids growing up in these safety suburbs to be Jesus of Suburbia in a nation of idiots. Jesus learns his commandments and laws of life from the writing on the bathroom walls at the 7-11. Mom and Dad don't teach anything to Jesus anymore because there's not a mom and dad. It's a mom and Brad or dad and Jan, all of whom are more concerned with succeeding in the workplace instead of at the home. Society is based on the family and if the family is broken then how can society stand?"

He paused for a moment. "The conflict is that nobody is leading us in a manner that will actually bring good to the nation but yet there is still this silhouette of perfection, the gilding on the lily that the government wants to portray. But behind the silver lining is nothing but a hurricane of lies that contradicts everything perfection is, but it's swept under the rug without a notice or care. I, for one, beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies. This is the dawning of the rest of our lives and we're not taking advantage of it. We're not speaking up and taking control of our lives. We're letting the puppet government make them for us. Is this making any sense?"

"It makes perfect sense." Adrienne agreed as she stared at him as the bell rang and students began to file out of the room. "Work on your papers." She called after them.

Adrienne walked over to where Billie Joe still sat and sat on the desk in front of him. "Wow. That was some pretty deep stuff Billie."

"Yeah," Billie Joe shrugged sheepishly. "I think I may have gotten a little carried away though."

"No, no. It was good. The class was dead this morning and I wanted to hear some sort of view besides my own." She led him down the busy hallway to her office. "Some days you can't get them to shut up but some, like today, they're just dead. What?" She noticed Billie Joe staring at her rather intensely.

Billie Joe shrugged and lowered his gaze a bit. "Nothing. Ah, I better get going. But, uh, how about we get together for, like, dinner or something. You can bring your husband and kids and all." He added quickly when he saw a flicker of alarm on Adrienne's face.

"Um, I don't know. I'll have to check with my husband." Adrienne walked Billie Joe to the door. "I'll see you later."