Blissful Ignorance: In a Vampire's World

Secrets

Kris's P.O.V

Kyle opened the door to reveal Damien. Wonderful. Just what I need right now. Another asshole.

"Hey Dame." Kyle nodded his head casually at his friend and smiled. "We were just going to go have breakfast, you wanna come?"

"No." I glared at Damien, not hiding the fact that I wished he'd die.

Damien just smirked back at me. "Yeah. I heard they got some fresh fruit toppings for the pancakes this morning." He smiled at Kyle, then stuck up a conversation with him, walking down the hall.

Ooooh he irked me!

"Kris?" Kevin tried to get me to kill the fire, but I wasn't paying attention, my thoughts still raging with anger. He sighed and bent down, then pressed his shoulder against my middle, wrapped his arms behind my legs, and lifted me onto his shoulder.

"Ahh!" I squealed, losing my train of thought as I was rushed out of the room. "Kevin put me down!" I hit his back with my fists.

It only made Kevin laugh evilly. "Your efforts are futile!" He pinched at the back of my knees...my worst tickle spots.

I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe, trying to kick my legs. "Kevin stop!"

He entered the elevator, wrapping his arms around my legs to keep me still. Ryan, followed us into the elevator, but I was facing Marcus, Damien, and Kyle.

"Hey there, sweet thang. You come here often?" Kyle teased with a big grin on his face.

I dug my elbow into Kevin's back and rested my chin on my hand. "Very cute, love. Do you like your nose?"

He laughed hard. "You couldn't reach."

I glared and threw a punch at Kyle's face, but before I knew it my hand was in Damien's hand and my back was up against the elevator wall, his free hand keeping me against the wall with my feet off the ground. My eyes widened with fear as I looked back into the eyes of a creature that could not possibly be human. The next thing I knew I was dropped on my ass, and I had Ryan and Kevin in front of me, growling viciously at the three vampires across the elevator. Kyle and Marcus were standing defensively in front of Damien.

Through my messy hair that laid over one of my eyes, I looked up frighteningly at Damien, who returned the glance with sad eyes of his own.

"WHAT IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" Ryan's hands balled up into fists.

"Chill Ryan. It was an accident-" Kyle tried to calm things down.

"An accident?! You call throwing her up against the wall an accident?!" Kevin joined in on the arguing as well, which was not normal for him. Usually he was the peacemaker.

"And you guys are supposed to be protecting her." Ryan said with disgust in his tone.

I should've stopped the argument...I should've done something...but...my head was swimming. I felt so dizzy. How did he do that? I asked myself, still staring back into the eyes of an apologetic Damien. He regretted it. I could see it in his eyes.

I jumped when the elevator door opened, hitting the ground floor. I looked to the door, and my eyes widened even more. There were twenty...maybe thirty or so students growling, all standing ready to fight...and they were all glaring at my boys. My breathing picked up and I backed myself up against the back wall of the elevator, whimpering when my back hit the cold mirror that lined the entire back wall. What are they? What's going on? I glanced from face to face, noticing one common trait of them all...they all had....fangs.

"Kris. Kris calm down honey." Kevin crouched down in front of me, but my eyes were still searching from face to face, hoping that I would see one that was normal. "Kris I need you to look at me, baby." He took my face in his hands gently, but it made me jump and gasp. I watched as my friend's face fell with pain.

"What are they?" I whispered softly, my body and stomach trembling.

Kevin glanced from my eyes, to Ryan's, who in turn glared at Damien.

Damien recomposed himself, his features changing from pained and apologetic, to completely calm. He turned his body to face the crowd of carnivorous students and raised his hand. "Everything is fine here. All of you, leave. Now." He ordered, and they all dispersed. His body then turned back to face me and the boys. "I think we should talk."

This being said, Marcus hit the button for our floor, and the elevator doors closed, making me jump again. I did not want to be in this elevator with these people right now. I wanted to get out. To go hug the stable ground and never let go. Apparently, though, everyone else had something different in mind.

When the elevator stopped, everyone got out, but I couldn't find the strength to move. I was still paralyzed by fear. Fear of the unknown. What was I going to be told when we got back into our room? Was my entire reality about to be torn apart by the secrets of the students here at Hillsworth?

"Morano."

I blinked away the square patters of the elevator carpet, and forced myself to gaze upon the boy I considered my best friend. What if he had a secret? Him and Kevin...did they know about this place I was sent to? That it was full of creatures that aren't supposed to exist?

"Mo." Ryan's voice was full of authority and demand, but I couldn't take his hand. Instead, I got up on my own, and passed right by him, keeping my eyes on the ground as I passed the rest. I couldn't look at them. Any of them.

I walked into the dorm, not bothering to keep the door open for the others, and plopped myself down on the couch, my eyes never leaving the floor.

They filed in, Kevin and Ryan keeping close, but at the same time, keeping their distance. Definitely not a good sign.

My eyes swept from the carpet to the person right in front of me--Damien. "I guess you have some explaining to do." Wow. My voice sounded stronger than I felt.

Damien nodded, then sighed with frustration. "Look, I'm sorry for-"

"I don't want to hear an apology I want an explanation." I said coldly, anger quickly replacing my fear.

"If you'd shut up maybe I'd get to it." He glared at me, his steely cold eyes could've turned me into ice. His eyes quickly glanced from Ryan to Kevin, then back to me. "I've been trained to fight. Ever since I could walk I could fight. It's what I have to do to protect myself. When you threw that punch Kyle, I acted on pure reflex." His face remained stony, but his eyes showed torture. "I would never harm a girl." I opened my mouth to say some smart Alec remark, but he amended his statement before I got the chance to speak. "No matter how tough they are."

"I still don't really hear an explanation for how you managed to get me up against the wall before I could even blink. How you got to the other side of the elevator just as quick. Or why every FUCKING student in this god damn SCHOOL HAS FANGS!" By this time I was yelling and on my feet, glaring ferociously at the pale beauty before me.

Damien closed his eyes, relaxed his facial features, and took a moment before opening his eyes again. "Because we're vampires."

I knew what they were. I'd thought the word the second I saw the fangs. But it still sent a jolt through my heart. My eyes wandered to the carpet, as I took a step back and half turned towards Ryan and Kevin who were standing behind the couch. From the corner of my eye I glared at them both. "You knew about this, didn't you?"

Ryan's jaw tightened as he heard my words. Kevin decided to speak for them both.

"Yes. We knew."

I felt my heart and stomach drop like I was falling from the sky. My knees wanted to collapse, but I made them hold my weight. "You're not human either, are you?"

"No. We're werewolves." Kevin's voice was soft, and fearful. He knew how I'd react to this. "But Kris we wanted to tell you. We just-"

"Couldn't?!" I glared at them. My 'friends'. The boys I grew up with. I spent the night at their houses. I ate dinner with their families. I kissed Ryan when were dating!....and they didn't trust me? They were worried that I would tell someone that my closest friends were wolves?....No....they're not friends. "Fuck you! Fuck all of you! I hate you!" I jet for the bedroom, but as soon as I turned around to walk towards the hall, Damien appeared before me, blocking the hallway entrance with a playful smirk on his face. "We're not finished here."

I gave a quick laugh and took a step closer, my face right in front of his when my smile disappeared and my eyes bore into his. "If you don't back off, I'm going to shove my foot so far up your ass if you cough it'll tickle my toes."

Damien just sighed and threw me over his shoulder, and plopped me down on the couch. When I tried to stand, he put a rough hand on my shoulder. "Stay put." He glared, obviously getting annoyed with me, but that was the last straw.

I hit his hand away, jumped to my feet, and aimed a punch at his face, but he dodged it, making me fall into Marcus.

"Kris! Cut it out!" Kevin walked towards me.

I pushed myself away from Marcus but he twirled me until I had my back against his chest, and wrapped his arms around mine so I couldn't struggle much.

"Get your fucking hands off of me!" I tried to kick him, but they didn't phase Marcus.

Kevin growled at Marcus, but he didn't budge.

Damien suddenly appeared before me, seeming amused. "You know, for someone who just found out she's surrounded by vampires and werewolves, you're awfully furious. You'd think you'd be scared or something."

"I'm not scared of vicious human-eating vampires! I'm not scared of super-strong werewolves, either! I'm pissed off that none of you told me!" I glared at Kevin, then Ryan. "You boys know I would've been ok with this! I've been a vampire every Halloween since I was in third grade. I've known you since I was born!" I glanced from Kyle, to Marcus, skipping Damien. "And you two acted like my friends, but friends don’t keep secrets. So as far as I'm concerned, I don't have friends. What's the point of living if everyone lies to you?" I watched Kevin and Ryan's faces become pained, while Damien's just turned to understanding.

"Not everyone lies to you, Krissy-" Kevin tried to amend things, but there was no way I was going to listen to this crap.

"Oh no? Name one person." I raised my chin in defiance.

"Your mother." Ryan answered quickly.

"Does she know about you boys?"

The boys looked at each other, then at the ground. That's a yes.

"What else about my life is a lie?...Did my father really walk out on my mom? Is he the asshole I've assumed him to be all these years?" I elbowed Marcus in the gut, ignoring the bruising pain I got from hitting his rock hard stomach as he let me go.

"Kris, could you please sit down? We'll explain everything to you, but first we need you to calm down." Kyle motioned towards the couch, and I plopped my ass down on it. The wolf boys moved to stand in front of me, while the vampires stood behind them, observing.

Ryan sighed, folding his arms over his chest. "Your mother and your father met when she was in college. They fell in love quick, and everything was going well until your parents got into a car accident. They were driving through an intersection and were t-boned on the driver's side. Your mother crawled out of the accident scratch-free, but your father wasn't so lucky. The people in the other car were killed instantly, and they were in the most desolate part of town, so no one was around...except for Ryan's father, the prince of the vampire world at the time. He happened to be in town on some business and smelled the blood. When he arrived, your mother had already dragged him out of the car, and he was a hair close to death. Ryan's father offered your mother a choice; either let him die, or let him change your father into a vampire so he would live on. Your mother, of course, chose the second option, but didn't know it meant they couldn't be together. Since your mother was human, the rules in the vampire world said she couldn't live with her vampire lover, so your father came to work here with Ryan's father. It was only after your father left that she found out she was pregnant with you, but she never told him about you. Though, since she found out about vampires and werewolves, she found out that there were also people who hunted them. Fearing that you could be used against your father and his connections, she hired my and Kevin's family to watch over you and protect you."

By the time his story was finished, my mind was swimming with questions, and my fury had completely diminished. "So...that night I almost got kidnapped..."

"That was a secret agency determined to destroy all vampires." Ryan finished.

"The Isis Agency. The same agency that killed my grandfather." Damien added.

I glanced at the voice that came from behind the boys, to meet the gaze of Damien. "So then you're the current vampire prince."

"Yeah." He tried to act as though he didn't care, but something about it bothered him.

"And...my father works here?" My mind suddenly raced.

"Yes. Uncle Peter." Damien walked up between Kevin and Ryan.

"Uncle?" I raised a brow.

"I was born three months before your father came along. He's been like a brother to my father, so he's practically like my uncle."

I grit my teeth. Glad to know he was there for somebody...even if it wasn't for me.

"I take it you don't want to meet your father?" Damien raised a brow.

"Of course not." I stood up, my fists so tight my nails were digging into my palms.

"Why not?" Damien took a step towards me, his chest gently bumping me and making me fall back on the couch.

I glared up at him, wishing desperately that I didn't think he was so attractive. "Because that dumb ass gave up on my mom! I don't care what new world he entered! I don't care about its stupid rules!" I stood back up, keeping my balance when Damien didn't step back. "I don't care what excuses he may come up with! Did he fight to stay with her, or just accept the offer all too willingly?"

"Don't talk about him that way! Uncle Peter does not give up-" Damien started, his eyes raging with fury.

"Oh yeah? Then why was he here, instead of with me and my mom?" I narrowed my eyes at him and tilted my head to the side a bit to let him know I had him.

"Because he would've killed you both from pure blood lust." He said it so slow, and his voice was so deep...it would've made any normal girl jump his bones right then and there, but all it did for me was make me want to scream.

It was all so unbearable. All of these new facts, the deception, the heart ache...I couldn't take it. I wanted to die.

"Kris...you ok?" Kevin pushed Damien aside subtly and held onto my arms.

"Yeah. Just fucking peachy. My friends lied, I'm living in a school full of beautiful killers, my mom lied, my father who I've hated ever since I could understand what a father was only left for my mother's safety, and..." I laughed softly, hysteria taking over. "To be honest, I don't know what to do now." I looked up into Kevin's scared eyes, and felt tears develop in mine. I couldn't stand the thought of being alone. I have no one to turn to who hasn't lied to me. "Why couldn't you just tell me, Kevin? I've always put so much trust into you...how could you do this?" I hated the fact that I couldn't control myself in front of Kevin. If I was sad when Kevin was talking to me, I'd cry. If I was angry, I'd spar with him. If I was happy, I'd hug him a lot and sometimes kiss his cheek, and he would always just laugh and hold me like a baby. He was the only person who could bring out my true emotions.

"Krissy...I'm sorry." He felt so horrible. I could see it in his eyes, but it only made me want to run. To run from this pain, and depression, and anger.

"Let me go." I struggled against his hold, but it didn't work. He was so much stronger than me.

"Krissy please..." He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me against his chest. "I love you, baby. I'm so sorry." He whispered in my ear, then pressed his lips against the side of my head.

I knew he didn't love me romantically, but as a little sister. He once told me I was the most important person in his life outside of his family. I never believed him until now. He was almost in tears.

I just buried my face into his chest and bawled my eyes out, fisting the back of his shirt. “You big stupid fleabag.” I sobbed angrily. He only responded by kissing the top of my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think it's getting better and better. ^_^