Homecoming

Shot 7

Once upon a time, in a land not that far away was a lonely little princess named Adrienne.

It was a full moon.

The full moon before Adrienne's legal birthday.

The full moon before the day she was supposed to wed.

Problem was, no suitor in all the fine land was perfect enough in her eyes for her hand. They were all too stuffy or too cocky. None of them had the pizzaz Adrienne was so desperately searching for.

Adrienne's father had visited her only moments before to find her sitting on her windowsill in her fancy ballgown, staring at the sky above. The full moon made an eerie light on her dark hair making it glow in it's dim light.

"My daughter," he said in an old tired voice. A voice strained from running a kingdom for so many years. A voice that longed to pass the crown on to a suitable husband to his daughter so he can live in peace along a tropical beach. "The time has come. Who have you chosen?"

Adrienne continued to stare at the land so peaceful and proud. Her vision was not on the twinkling house lights or the fine lands, but on a young man she had always admired from afar.

His dark hair was styled in an odd way that left the strands pointing in all directions but was still soft enough for her to dream about running her fingers through. His fair skin made him shine softly in the moonlight and dark tattoos, evidence of an exciting past, shone darkly against his completion.

Adrienne sighed as her heart fluttered. She watched the young man throw a stick for a stray mutt to run and catch. The dog brought it back to him and he scratched the creatures ears affectionately.

"Daughter." The king was tired of Adrienne ignoring him. "What is your answer and what in the devil are you staring at?" He quickly crossed over to the window, not giving Adrienne enough time to move and shut the drapes. "The kitchen boy. Why are you staring at a ruffian with no future. Stop daydreaming about slums and give me your answer on your suitor?" He loved his daughter, he truly did, but he did not tolerate fraternizing below royal stations. "Well?"

"I... I..." Adrienne's voice was shaky and scared. She was afraid of her father's reaction. "I haven't chosen any of them. I find them all silly."

"Silly?" her father roared as he purposefully knocked over a crystal vase that rested next to her window. "They are the finest lads in all the land and you will marry one by sundown tomorrow or you will regret it for the remainder of your possibly short life."

Adrienne's breath caught in her lungs as he stormed out, his anger apparent. Fighting the tears that were threatening to overflow, Adrienne quickly gathered her strength and a small amount of needed necessities into a soft bag. She changed out of her ball gown into a soft, comfortable traveling dress.

Adrienne quickly tied the bed sheets together to form a rope. She could hear her ladies in waiting stirring in the next room, and quickly threw it over her balcony and climbed down with great difficulty. Adrienne felt that she just had to leave to find peace with herself. Her family would understand one day, she hoped.

When Adrienne tumbled onto the ground, she began to creep towards the gates, avoiding as many castle guards as she could. Adrienne, not being able to see well in the darkness of the night, tripped over a stone and tumbled onto the ground.

"Who's there?" a male voice called.

Adrienne froze. She did not stop in fear, but of anxiety and anticipation. It was his voice.

"Who's there dammit?" The voice, followed by a body, came into the small opening where Adrienne was still sprawled on the ground. "Princess?" His tone was confused.

"Please Billie, please don't say a word," she begged as she picked herself up, aided by his gentle hands. Adrienne could see his dark markings much closer now and could see intricate designs widing up his arms.

"You know my name." He had not thought that the royal family knew he existed.

"Of course," Adrienne said hurriedly. "I know everything about you," she said without realizing it.

"Really?" Billie was now intrigued as he leaned against a tree and crossed his arms. "Do tell my lady."

Adrienne became red in the face as she realized what she said. She looked at his fine features. He was not royal, but he carried himself finer than any lord or duke. She could see dark liner along his eyes, or maybe those were fine shadows, and it fuel her rebellion and gave her the courage she needed. "I've been watching you," she admitted as she came closer to him.

"Stalker," Billie teased. "Which is ironic because I've been watching you as well."

"Really?" Adrienne breathed.

"The princess is missing. Quick, block off all entrances!" a voice shouted several feet away.

"Oh no!" Adrienne moaned softly. "I can't let them find me."

"Where are you going?" Billie Joe noticed her distress and odd dress.

"Away. Anywhere where I can be free and love whomever I choose." Adrienne began to walk away quietly, frantic to get out.

"And who would that be?" Billie began to follow quickly.

"You."