Chicago Is So Two Years Ago, Its All About Vegas Baby

Never Looking Back At What We've Done

Once I got out of the shower, feeling slightly refreshed. I put on some sweats before going out into the kitchen to the smell of tuna and bacon. It was an odd combination, but it was strangely nice.

‘Do you want any help Tricky?’ I asked, walking into the kitchen area.

‘No, I’m good thanks Harry. Go and sit yourself down, I’ll bring it in for you in a second.’ He said, shuffling around the small area that was his kitchen.

‘Ah, always the gentleman,’ I patted him on the back before retreating to the front room.

I walked into the spacious room and sat down on the red leather couch. Flicking on the TV, Patrick walked in and handed me a tuna and sweet corn sandwich.

‘Thanks Trick.’ I said before bringing the sandwich up to my lips. The smell of the fish
wafted up into my nostrils, almost instantaneously I could feel the bile rising in my throat. I quickly put the plate and the offending sandwich down before racing into the bathroom.

Falling to my knees just in time, I emptied the contents of my stomach into the porcelain bowl.

To rid my mouth of the repulsive taste, I washed my mouth of with water from the sink. I walked back out into the front room area, Patrick’s eyes never leaving mine; they held a distinct look of worry and concern.

‘Are you okay Harry?’ he asked once I sat down.

‘Yeah, I’m fine; it’s just that over the past few days I’ve been feeling kinda ill.’ I said, rubbing my stomach.

‘Are you sure you’re not pregnant?’ he grinned, joking.

I froze. Could I be pregnant? It would explain a lot.

From my reaction, Patrick’s face contorted into a look of confusion.

‘You don’t think you’re pregnant do you?’ he asked, putting his hands on my shoulder, almost forcing me to look at him.

I didn’t even answer him before running out of his apartment in the direction of the nearest pharmacy.

‘Shit, $10?’ I mused to myself as I picked up a pregnancy test.

I grabbed another two, in addition to the one I already had in my hands, I had three tests. I had to be sure. I wasn’t completely confident I could handle being a single mother.

Walking as slowly as possible, I made my way over to the checkout counter. The elderly lady at the counter who appeared to have a snarl permanently fixed onto her face served me.

‘That’ll be $30,’ she held out her hand expectantly, jabbing it in my direction.

I searched through the pockets of my jeans, hoping to find some money. Silently, I cursed myself for not bringing my purse.

All I could find was a crumpled 10 dollar bill. I handed it to the woman.

‘This is $1o,’ she uttered, sarcastically.

‘Yes, I realise that. I was going to tell you I only wanted one.’ I grabbed one of the tests and the $10 before shoving it in her general direction.

I shot her a sour smile, I put on a fake smile and asked, ‘Where’s the lady’s room? I’ve got something I need to do…’ I motioned waving the pregnancy test in the air.

She didn’t speak, she just pointed to her right. Not bothering to thank her, I took her instructions and walked over to the small bathroom.

I waited in the small bathroom, the stick in my left hand, my right hand on the drab wall, helping me keep my balance.

2 minutes.

That was all I had to wait. Although, at that point two minutes felt like a lifetime. It’s like what Einstein said, "When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours that's relativity."

This pregnancy test was my hot stove.

I looked at my watch, two minutes was up. I closed my eyes before picking up the test, bringing it to my eye level, I slowly opened my eyes.

-

That was all I saw, a simple minus sign. The minus sign that told me my life wasn’t about to change dramatically forever. I thought I’d be overwhelmed at this revelation, but instead, I felt nothing but sadness. Unintentionally and subconsciously, I’d built my hopes up and now they’d been shot down, I was left in shreds.

I made my way back to Patrick’s feeling low.

‘Harry?’ Patrick’s eager voice asked as I closed the door behind me.

I didn’t respond, I just continued walking in, trying to hide the tears which were falling from my eyes.

‘I built my hopes up.’ I sobbed as he wrapped his arms around me.

‘Shh, don’t worry Harriett.’ He held me tight as I tears flowed from my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
whooooooooooo new chapter!

comments?