My Fair Lady

Chapter 10

"Where's Chloe at today?" Lauren asked Jakob as she pulled a book out of her locker. "Do you know?"

"Yeah," Jakob sighed as he shifted the strap of his bookbag. "She has some performance thing in San Francisco. She's singing in front of the Governor and stuff." He stifled a yawn. "I'm so tired."

"Then you and Chloe need to stop having those late nights." Lauren teased as she and Jakob began to walk down the hall.

"Yeah, right." Jakob scoffed. "Chloe wants to wait and I respect that. So, no late nights for me on that. Then Chloe has to sing at that stupid arts council gala thing tonight. Shit."

"Oh, well," Lauren's nose scrunched up a bit. "We'll pick her up afterwards and you, me, Chloe and Frankito will go do something.

"Maybe, ah crap. I forgot my Calculus book." Jakob turned around to head back to his locker. "See you later Lauren." Jakob quickly walked back to his locker just as the tardy bell rang. He rubbed his burning eyes as he slid his ID card to open the locker. He had been up filling out college applications and studying for his Calculus exam that was coming up until the early hours of the morning.

"Hey Jake."

Without even turning around, Jakob knew who it was. Only certain people called him 'Jake' and that was his family and Katrina. "Katrina." He answered blandly as he shut his locker and turned to find Katrina right in front of him. "What?"

Katrina shrugged and several strands of her long blonde hair fell over her shoulder as she did so. "Just wanted to come talk to you."

"What for?" Jakob wasn't immune to Katrina's looks or charm, as much as he wished he could be. Her top was cut a tad lower than dress code permit and her teeth whiter than normal sets; Jakob couldn't help but be frozen at the spot by her.

Katrina shrugged again and pursed her lips into a well practiced pout as she turned her head to the side. She grinned coyly as she pressed her body up against his a little bit, leaving a still rooted Jakob between her and the row of lockers. "I've missed you. Haven't you missed me?"

Jakob, warning lights going off in his head, but was too tired to react quickly enough, felt Katrina's hands on him and her lips coming closer to his. He felt her lips feather against his before the reality of the situation began to set in. He quickly turned his head to the side. "Stop it Katrina. You broke up with me, remember?"

"Vaguely." She murmured as she leaned in for a second try, which was rejected again by Jakob. However, she still had him pinned. "You know you want me Jake. I know she doesn't make you happy. I know you, Jake. I know how you like it." She then whispered erotic nothings into Jakob's ear before she bit it gently. "Let's blow off classes. Come on Jake, I need you." She rubbed up against him.

"Katrina, get off of me." Jakob pushed Katrina off of him and darted around so he was in the open hall and not stuck between her and the lockers. He glared at her and shook his head before he turned away to go to class, far away from her.

"Wait, wait " Katrina ran to catch up with her ex. "You're choosing her? A home schooled, scholarship weirdo over me?" Katrina was angry by Jakob's attitude towards her. "What could she possibly have that I don't?"

Jakob leaned in and hissed in her face. "Closed legs." He then brushed past her for the final time.

------------*------------

"I feel like a stalker." Jakob shifted in his seat of Frankito's SUV. They were parked behind the Arts Building in an empty parking lot, lights off, watching the back door. They were waiting for Chloe to come out.

"Yeah, isn't it great." Frankito bounced a bit in his seat and fiddled with the radio. "So, what do you guys wanna do tonight? There's a party at Ben Dover's house," He laughed a bit, "A new club in Rodeo... Dad just refilled the liquor cabinet and forgot to lock it because he doesn't know where the key went..." Frankito clicked his set of keys, which had a small silver one on the hoop. "What do you think?"

Jakob just shrugged. "I don't care. Hey," The back door opened as a slender female made their way to the car. She tapped on the window and leaned inside.

"Jakob, why are you even here?" Lauren asked, her voice a little cold towards her friend.

Jakob's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "Well, why wouldn't I be? I'm picking Chloe up."

"After what you did?"

"What did I do?"

"You made out with Katrina in the middle of the hall " She shrieked as she threw her hands up in the air in frustration. "I forgot my Calculus book? Oh, real original Jakob, just smooth."

"What the fu... Wait, wait. I did not make out with Katrina. I shoved the bitch away. Where the Hell did you hear that?" Jakob was feeling angry and his jaw became set and hard.

"It's all over school." Lauren's voice wasn't cold, but instead panicky. "Chloe is so upset. Someone called her and sent her a picture over her phone of you two. How could you do that to her Jakob?"

"I didn't " Jakob was leaning across Frankito in order to see Lauren and emphasized his point with hand gestures that made Frankito push back into his seat for protection.

"Then how do you explain this?" Lauren held out Chloe's cell phone with the picture of Katrina kissing Jakob.

"Laur, look. My lips are closed tight, my eyes are open, and I'm trying to get away. Does that look like someone wanting to fuck to you?" Jakob's face was red with frustration. "Tell Chloe to come out here so we can talk."

"I'm right here." Chloe stood behind Lauren, unknown to any of her friends. A black coat over the silky blue dress she wore to the gala.

"Chloe," Jakob started as he crawled closer to the window, his knee pressing into Frankito's thigh as he did so. "I..., sorry Frankito, I did not make out with Katrina, baby. I didn't. I swear it. She came onto me wanting me to get back with her, but I told her no. I'm with you and that's where I want to be. Chloe, believe me on this. I would not do that to you, ever."

Chloe sniffed. It was clear that she was holding back emotional tears as her eyes were rimmed red and she was trembling slightly. "Do you swear it Jakob?"

"I do."