My Fair Lady

Chapter 17

"I better get you back." Jakob murmured as he kissed Chloe sweetly.

It had been several weeks since the Valentine's dance and Jakob knew he could never let Chloe find out what happened between him and Katrina that night. Katrina, amazingly, had kept quiet and not said anything to anyone, but resorted to giving Jakob piercing looks in the hallways; reminding him that she could at any moment.

"I don't wanna go back." Chloe whined as she laid her head on his shoulder. She was sitting in his lap in Adrienne's mini-SUV on a hill that overlooked the bay. It was quiet and secluded, perfect for them.

Chloe's parents had refused to budge on their opinion of Jakob. They would not let Chloe go anywhere near Jakob that was not school related. The only way they could see each other privately was when Chloe told her parents she was at Lauren's house when she was, in fact, with Jakob somewhere.

"I know." Jakob sighed. "I don't either." He took a deep breath, taking in her trademark scent of vanilla in. He loved that smell on her. "But if I don't, things will get worse and there will be no way we could see each other."

"I know." Chloe agreed reluctantly. "Don't forget you have to come to my show in two weeks. See how hard I've been working."

"Wouldn't miss it for anything... Unless your dad bans me from watching it."

"Don't worry about that okay? I love you." She kissed him and straddled him in his seat so she could have better access to his lips.

"I love you too." Jakob whispered lightly as he kissed her back. His hands played with the skin of her stomach and back as she wrapped her hands around his neck. Jakob broke the kiss to pepper along her neck.

"Oww " Chloe giggled as he bit her neck. She hit him playfully. "That hurt." Her giggles were still there.

Jakob laughed back. "So did that."

Chloe swung to hit him again but he caught her hands and held them back. They were both laughing at the silliness of their self-created game.

Jakob laughed harder as his girlfriend tried to get away and hit him again. He shifted in his seat and when he went up, Chloe's head went down and they collided in a painful union.

"Ow. Why do you hate me?" Chloe gasped as she let out a small laugh. She rubbed her head as she poked her lip out at her boyfriend.

"Cause I love you." Jakob kissed and rubbed her head. "You crazy bitch."

Chloe giggled and kissed him sweetly and slipped her tongue into his mouth. Jakob's hands rested on her hips and gripped them lightly as her hands began to undo the buckle of his belt.

Jakob shifted in the seat and unzipped her jeans and began to pull the denim down when his cell phone began to ring obnoxiously. "Muthafucker... Yeah. Oh, hey Dad. Are you serious? No way? Where? Okay, we're on our way." He hung up the phone and grinned at Chloe. "Amy's having the baby."

------------*------------

"Dad " Jakob and Chloe jogged to Billie Joe, who was waiting in the hallway of the hospital for them. "Has she had it yet?"

Billie Joe shook his head. "No. They had to induce an emergency C-section because Amy's blood pressure was getting too high and the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck. That's the last we've heard."

"Oh my God." Chloe breathed as she clasped Jakob's hand.

Billie Joe led them to were the family was sitting. Adrienne was sitting in one of the hard plastic chairs with her head in her hands. "Hey Mom." Jakob sat down next to Adrienne and put an arm around her. "It's gonna be okay."

Adrienne lifted her head and nodded. "I know. I'm just worried. The first one is always the worst. Joey was a nightmare. I almost died when I had him. You were a dream. They knocked me out and when I came to, you were almost potty trained."

Billie Joe leaned down and kissed his wife on the forehead. "They're going to be alright. All of them, they're going to be fine." He cradled her face in his hands and kissed her forehead as he promised.

Chloe stood awkwardly to the side. She felt like an intruder to the family. The three of them were a single unit in the hospital as they waited for news on Joey, Amy and the baby. She felt as if she should make her goodbyes and go, but she had no way to go other than calling her parents, and she wasn't sure that that was a route she wanted to travel.

"I'm really glad you're here Chloe." Adrienne reached her hand out to Chloe, which Chloe accepted. "You're like a member of this family and I'm so glad you're here for the birth of our first granddaughter."

"Or grandson, we don't know yet." Billie Joe shot in as he put an arm around Chloe's shoulders.

"It's a girl, I know it's a girl. It has to be a girl " Adrienne's legs bobbed in excitement. "Oooh, I wish they would tell us something."

For the next thirty minutes, the Armstrong family and Chloe wait patiently and impatiently in the waiting room of the hospital Chloe and Jakob sat next to one another, hand in hand as they waited and Billie Joe and Adrienne mirrored the position.

After what felt like forever, someone came in through the once still double doors. It was Joey dressed in the blue scrubs of the hospital, carrying a yellow blanketed bundle.

"It's a girl." He said around his infectious grin as everyone rushed up to see the newest member of the family.

"Oooh," Adrienne sighed softly. "She's beautiful. What did you name her?"

"Sterling Ivy." Joey answered softly as Sterling moved and yawned in her father's arms. Her tiny arm shot out of the blanket and her fist curled around her grandfather's finger as he watched on proudly.

With his free arm, Billie Joe slung it around Joey's shoulders and kissed his temple. "This is what makes life worth living. Congrats Dad."

Jakob wrapped an arm around Chloe's waist and kissed the top of her head as they both gazed upon baby Sterling.